Re: [ecf-dev] JMDNS & ECF startup EP

Scott Lewis wrote:

>> I've always wanted to have a discovery preference page where providers
>> can be enabled/disabled/marked for automatic startup/... for our own
>> product built on top of ECF, but haven't gotten around to actually
>> implementing it.
>> IMHO
>> CompositeDiscoveryContainer/CompositeDiscoveryContainerInstantiator
>> can be extended for this. This way the specific provider (jSLP/JMDNS)
>> doesn't need to support this functionality. Agreement?
>
> Yes, absolutely.  I think this is the way to go.  As far as I'm
> concerned we can/could consider the current approach simply temporary.

Thinking about it, I believe it makes sense to decouple the preference
UI from the discovery API via the OSGi configuration manager (CM)
service. That way consumers can still benefit from the configuration
capability of discovery even if they choose to use a pure OSGi runtime.

In we decide to take this route, we can split the work into creating the
CM service for org.eclipse.ecf.provider.discovery and into creating a
preference page that bases on CM services (with metatype it could be
fairly generic).

IIRC IBM ships a CM based preference UI in one of their Eclipse based
products?!

Cheers
Markus

Back to the top