[ecf-dev] plans for api refactoring and new exemplary application

Hi Folks,

Since ECF is getting closer to 1.0.0 and then Europa participation, I think we have two major tasks in front of us:

1) Refactoring the ECF APIs and hardening them in preparation for 1.0.0
2) Creating a more complete, more functional 'showcase' ECF application

For 1, I've created a wiki page with a set of proposed API refactorings to focus on prior to 1.0.0. Please examine these items and comment on them (i.e. and/or add others) via the wiki page directly or via this mailing list. The page is at "ECF API Refactoring Efforts": http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/API_Refactoring

For 2, there are a few 'big questions'. First, what comm functionality should we focus on? Also, how many/what features to put in the given app? Mustafa Isik has created a second refactoring wiki page "ECF Applications Refactoring Efforts": http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Application_Refactoring).

Please 'weigh in' on these two efforts by commenting on and adding to these two wiki pages, or responding to this posting. We have a fair degree of latitude on both sets of issues, and we have a number of possibilities given the range of features in the existing IM, chat, collab, discovery, shared editing, file transfer, whiteboarding, voip, multi-player game example and test code (which can, of course, serve to provide support code for a completely new exemplary application and supporting plugins).

Scott

Back to the top