Re: [ebr-dev] [orbit-dev] Contributing Eclipse OSGi bundles wrapping standard jars from Maven

Hi Tamar,

It’s great to here that you are using OSGi/Eclipse RCP and supporting p2. I’m in the process of re-booting the EBR project. EBR stands for Eclipse Bundle Recipes and the goal is to have a place at Eclipse where recipes are published for converting any library into an OSGi bundle.

The Orbit project has a different goal. It provides IP approved libraries as OSGi bundles for Eclipse projects (and also to the public). Every bundle in Orbit went through the Eclipse IP process. Thus, it takes time and effort to publish libraries there. In contrast, the EBR project intends to just provide the recipes. Therefore, no extensive IP process is used.

Recently, I proposed an approach for EBR which is extremely similar to yours.

It also uses a Maven plug-in for turning libraries from any Maven repository into OSGi bundles.

A few example recipes are online as well.

Each one of those recipes can be deployed directly into Nexus which in turn provides a p2 repository of them ready for consumption in target platforms. Thus, it’s possible to completely automate that process and doesn’t require any additional setup. The biggest benefit of the Maven plug-in I proposed is that it produced high-quality bundles including support for localizable manifest properties and computation of ".qualifier“ based on Git (or other) commit time information.

I’d love to hear back from you if you are interested in contributing to the EBR project. The main part currently is to provide a pom.xml [1] and an osgi.bnd [2] file describing the package imports and exports.

-Gunnar