Re: [dtp-dev] SQL Model Question - Column Data Types

Hi Rob,

yes, you have it right.

when containedType is used, it means the Column instance contains the REF datatype or predefined datatype instance.

thanks,

- Hemant

rcernich@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: dtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/11/2006 09:44 AM

Please respond to
DTP development mailing list <dtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc
Subject
Re: [dtp-dev] SQL Model Question - Column Data Types

Hey Hemant,

Thanks for the response.

> referenceType returns UserDefinedType and containedType returns
> SQLDataType(superclass of PredefinedDataType). both referenceType and
> containedType are XOR.
>
> DataType is superclass of SQLDataType and UserDefinedDataType. the
> convenience method get/setDataType
> on Column wraps both referenceType and containedType so that the
> user can only think it terms of DataType
> when manipulating datatype of a column.
>
> pl refer TypedElement diagram in Schema package.

Just to clarify, referenceType should be used when the column's type is a
UserDefinedType and containedType should be used when the column's type is
a REF type or predefined data type?  (This isn't clear from the
documentation.)  If so, I'm guessing this implies that the containedType is
actually a container for the specific type?  (Which is what the
relationship implies.)

Thanks again for the clarification.

Rob