Re: [ditto-dev] New member
  • From: "Jaeckle Thomas (IOC/PAP-DDM-TH)" <Thomas.Jaeckle@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 06:45:33 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=bosch.io; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=bosch.io; dkim=pass header.d=bosch.io; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version; bh=x9srtjwcWZT1Ds/htyD4PALLG9rRNTLBeY/0egWwq7o=; b=GGtnHYoBjWnRnSA6DXSPjNVAFt+HwLSHlJFXdC/NPzLW8xuzu0PiFm5MGFlfZHOPivynAJOcZ7bE/E08K4/kPyiTrxTtr+MLe4VQSvS0AuDubs9pMPpjRqfLjYhroI+Jrxb52NjABzQG5c6V5NILBsrPLYyCjf1/B8DetezH+woScW//IQzTIc3avHrrEN9bIChLpaU1O6Ui0QvTPn9rJ0TH+QalVfZDFsZEeID8ZAtH6hEEEixAqJofB+jV6Qr7QWbQYl59xzHlk63L2Ybif5SnBCMJEcrsGXqPro1eT5vk3RzpOzTF8MKPoAQ589Gn/vU8XWk2fMVLhuqegKTvTQ==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=RXUmSMRVzlEcGixHsEsj5yH4fnZj/m3r5rNEFF7SRl8J5zbK1DNsITV7UXcprpSiCnGphlTIQCtofli6WmtWpmSSyDFZO7K9l+pS9dgfrmbtH1E6V/pK87bRqHN5F/7i9A+bZBqmVY223CfgqHxK9qnExt8ZxoExCnr+XiaFS5jdqHnd0m5b3JjD1PTMmSRSMkKVez/sem8ncJZW2Ci+ChHD52CYyBQkrDAYSixREPAPnACE9MOyDTl54yM/s3P19izkgknOQ19qZzuVcaWilZmRTrorQ6bXDGyh9kjnuQLDBaT8V6391fAt9CENlXLNn1Re1oLjHNUrbDam6lasMg==

Hello Domício,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Well, that sounds like a perfect background you have there for getting involved in contributing to Eclipse Ditto.

Without background of actor systems it normally is not so easy for developers to start on contributions.

So we would gladly accept help.

We have some issues marked as “good-first-issue” which *should* be quite easy to do and would also help in slowly getting to know the codebase: https://github.com/eclipse/ditto/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Agood-first-issue

Asides from that, as you also was already using Eclipse Ditto, maybe you have some ideas on improvements yourself?

We have 2 areas in which we currently do not invest too much effort which could be interesting for contributing, we have grouped them as “projects”: https://github.com/eclipse/ditto/projects

Towards developer documentation: We do not have such a documentation, sorry. What developers usually ask for/want is how to locally setup Ditto in order to be able to debug, etc.

That’s quite simple (and I think we should add that as a starting point for a “developer documentation”):

  • Just locally start MongoDB (e.g. using Docker)
  • Afterwards, start the following Java “main” Classes from your IDE in the following order:
    • 1. org.eclipse.ditto.policies.service.starter.PoliciesService
    • 2. (in any order):
      • org.eclipse.ditto.things.service.starter.ThingsService
      • org.eclipse.ditto.concierge.service.starter.ConciergeService
      • org.eclipse.ditto.gateway.service.starter.GatewayService
      • org.eclipse.ditto.connectivity.service.ConnectivityService
      • org.eclipse.ditto.thingsearch.service.starter.SearchService

There are “*-dev.conf” configuration files which are used for starting the Ditto services in such a way which automatically connect to a MongoDB running on “localhost" and port 27017 (without authentication).

And by starting the PoliciesService first, all other nodes will join the Akka cluster started by the PoliciesService.

Please don’t hesitate to ask, e.g. also via a GitHub Discussion, for more feedback/input: https://github.com/eclipse/ditto/discussions

Best regards

Thomas Jäckle

Bosch.IO Connect / Product Area IoT Platform - Development Device Management - Bosch IoT Things (IOC/PAP-DDM-TH)
Bosch.IO GmbH | Ziegelei 7 | 88090 Immenstaad | GERMANY |
www.bosch.io

Sitz: Berlin, Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg; HRB 148411 B
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dr.-Ing.
Thorsten Lücke; Geschäftsführung: Dr. Stefan Ferber, Dr. Aleksandar Mitrovic, Yvonne Reckling