Re: [cyclonedds-dev] Porting CycloneDDS to RIOT-OS

Hi Brenton,

No-one is currently working on that, as far as I am aware; it would definitely be an interesting addition.

Running in 32kB is going to be a stretch, though. I am all for making Cyclone smaller to run and I am hopeful that (with effort) it can be squeezed so all the hot data fits in 128kB or so of memory to make it run efficiently on a Cortex M3. But 32kB? Ouch.

macOS tells me that a minimal setup today needs about 512kB of code, 512kB of RAM. My gut feeling is that with an ARM in Thumb mode (or another 32-bit CPU with a similarly compact instruction set), optimised for size and with some things stripped out or replaced by smaller implementations (see also https://github.com/eclipse-cyclonedds/cyclonedds/issues/99) you could probably save 20% or so without too much effort. Beyond that it’ll get progressively more painful.

I guess the question is: is the port to RIOT-OS specifically to run it on such small devices, or would you be happy with running it on somewhat larger ones? If you really need a peer-to-peer publish-subscribe system in significantly less than 32kB (you also still need an OS and application code, after all), there is only one that I know would fit: https://github.com/atolab/zhe. That I know of no others may well be a simple lack of knowledge on my side, rather than those others not existing.

Best regards,
Erik