[config-dev] Config playground - tree structure, parsing, polling/change watchers
  • From: Tomas Langer <tomas.langer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 14:28:29 +0000
  • Accept-language: cs-CZ, en-US
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=oracle.com; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=oracle.com; dkim=pass header.d=oracle.com; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck; bh=Nl9xfAp4Ld1B8ooUXtrMKGotRWynfm6xCPIvMlKrJys=; b=RTe5ty71fEiT6M4vUdzoGjemDQ7vJ9rXRI1dBmdX5dDhGBIRheALcboZn9UEQLKzup6bd/lJTBEk36ypPoEBsPWIUUhs/I+alGv3uODd+Cv6g28FaSI17Aha+bNkH1oYVm8A9RxSjiD7QPY221IHLRAxa79N8if6tXyNCIotDLxXTB7ihALNsGs5lETk/h1Mb3PbKKCiLsItCrDX3F4DWT7dZCoLqOqWOWQ7VqBOCbFWp0PJWvV+npu9vMOlri5MfIUGY26kKYD/GAtrr/4gRvK+5vWQuSa0qZ9s/D8D9A2oUCc412DxZL6cDDUBiskG+CO8Xt7GkcqvjlygZ0QZcw==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=WxyvRwr0fmf9jhYB7imErR4YyrG8eZ3BvhgI4TR9OO1MVvHIoWOe/IUL8iq6O+0/uNymFQ4ebPl3gRYk4A97bMms7mkepuMGrZszYjBgdlk/9A0nruP4+TRZv/NPD3ZxX5GzAiuA+mPNAy3eEEMF6wVX8b8kf3QAt4DpDs12w01ot+Ws2tdj13kjLNvsmliY2EVlhFEw3enuB1Ji6txIaxPimNXYuPyg/vpRa9/1SFTwtPT9m5bNrd60chPy5scVYB1v8XOIhpNLj+YzR1gLLl79bK0EMcAZhQBsHpI74AlkjJKv++TXSRiGtQ8URkjCdwpm4S9Jaj/Bgk3NFzA3sQ==

Hi,
As promised on the call, here is the link to the playground with SPI for config

This package contains the “full” features similar to what we do in Helidon

- ParsableConfigSource and ConfigParser - parsers support a specific content type and can convert a stream to tree)
- NodeConfigSource - tree node supported by source
- PollableConfigSource and PollingStrategy - config source is mutable and can be polled for changes
- WatchableConfigSource and ChangeWatcher - config source is mutable and changes can be found via an event from change watcher
- EventConfigSource - config source is mutable and it can trigger mutation events on its own

- ConfigNode - the tree node (can be Object, List or Value - similar to Object. Array and Value in JSON)

There are a few classes in “example” package that implement some of these interfaces.

This is a work in progress - I am trying to extract meaningful API from Helidon Config, so we can compare with MP and maybe decide to update some areas.

The main advantages I see compared to current MP:
- well defined mutability approach (using snapshots + capability to get latest version based on change events); the only loose end are “lazy” config sources, as these may provide a value whenever they choose to do so
- tree structure from config source up  - most config sources know the data in advance (files on class path, files, URL, in-memory etc.); this could also be used to have original types available (we actually create String from everything, but we may keep the original type at least when it is requested exactly)
- parsers - config source can read data from some storage; parser can parse data to tree structure. Separation of concerns allows for smaller code to implement a config source
- external mutability - config source can let the config do polling/change watching, and only focus on reading the data (again separation of concerns)

Tomas

Back to the top