Re: [cn4j-alliance] MP apis and "graduation" to Jakarta EE

Can’t speak for both WGs as I assume this would go through the various required votes. If MPWG is now looking to maintain backwards compatibility for api consumers e.g. jakarta for some specifications that would be a positive change from previous “pull model” positions that needs to be considered.

Steve

From: cn4j-alliance <cn4j-alliance-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Thomas Watson
Sent: 20 January 2021 19:28
To: cn4j-alliance@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [cn4j-alliance] MP apis and "graduation" to Jakarta EE

+1

Renaming an established API package never seems like a good idea to me.  That should be the last option considered.  Moving working groups to maintain backwards compatibility also seems like the wrong precedent.  MicroProfile should be able to be the home of their own "graduated" APIs.  Now if we hear that MicroProfile is completely against maintaining compatibility going forward for future releases of MP Config then we have more discussion that is needed.  But lets assume MP Config spec maintainers in MicroProfile are willing to maintain backward compatibility going forward. Are there objections to such an approach in Jakarta?

Tom