Re: [cn4j-alliance] Thoughts on the CN4J purpose

Hi Scott and others,

Thanks for starting this initiative. I'm following the gathering of opinions in the presentation. As expected, there is a wide variety of how people see Jakarta EE and MicroProfile evolve. Trying to prevent cluttering the document further, I would like to share my overall thoughts here:
  • I'm glad as an end-user that there is an initiative that aims to align Jakarta EE and MicroProfile. I like to be able to share my thoughts and visions here, but my vision is of course not the ultimate one, neither is that of any single person involved IMHO. What I mean by this is that whatever this alignment is going to be, I hope that we base it as much as possible on demands from the developers/end-users that actually use the platforms, and steer the opinions and vision we have in that direction;
  • I would strongly advise caution in the terms "light", "lite", "enterprise" or similar that we might come up with. I think the last thing we want to do is in any way a profile feeling "heavy" because this is a sensitive term when you ask developers how they feel about a framework. Why is a certain collection of specifications (a profile) heavier compared with others;
  • After we have collected feedback and opinions on this topic, what are we going to do with it, and on what timeline? Are we going to appoint a volunteer that arranges a product or release plan with the working groups involved?
As always, I'm just trying to help to get this train running in the right direction, and feedback is welcome of course.

Edwin