[che-dev] 'vscode.workspace.fs' Plug-in API is adapted to the remote plug-in model

Hello,

I'm glad to inform you that we finished the adaptation of one more Plug-in API
to Che-Theia's remote plug-in model - it's vscode.workspace.fs Plug-in API [1], [2], [3].

If your VS Code extension is running in a sidecar and it needs accessing its resources
with vscode.workspace.fs API, now it's transparent for an extension. All the file system
requests are forwarded by Che-Theia to the corresponding sidecar. Before that enhancement,
such extensions could access the file system of the Che-Theia container only.

One of such extensions we're currently interested in - it's the Python VS Code extension
with the Jupyter Notebooks support [4]. I think there're many more such extensions that were
impossible to run in Che due to the mentioned limitations.

This great improvement is going to be released in Che 7.28.0.
--

Artem Zatsarynnyi

Senior Software Engineer

Red Hat