Re: [che-dev] Building Images at WS creation Time

On Wed, 2019-07-10 at 11:21 +0200, Mario wrote:
s2i is OpenShift only but we can find another mechanism to build images on Kubernetes.

However I would like to understand is if we really need to do a compilation at runtime. Because it would make workspaces startup slower and it should be worth it.

It would make workspace creation slower, not startup, and only if we don't have a caching mechanism for the build images.

What's the use case that we don't support currently that we will support if we do the compilation at runtime? In other words what are the benefits?

Mix and match jdt.ls extensions and basically any Java-based Che plugin that has a dynamic component

What are the steps that would be needed to "native-compile jdt.ls" at runtime?  Install a particular JDK? Copy some libs? Do a java compile from jdt.ls source code + some libs?

The idea is to run use Graalvm for this. What the concrete steps are: tbd.

/Thomas

Back to the top