Re: [cf-dev] Release Plan for Californium ?

On Wed, 2016-11-16 at 14:52 +0100, Simon Bernard wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    At Leshan, we currently think about releasing a first Leshan version.
>
>    You can see the plan on leshan-dev [1].
>
>    This version of Leshan will be based on Californium 2.0.x as we need
> the persistent ObservationStore.
>
>    There is a lot of activity on this branch which is a good point for
> californium project but I'm wondering if this is compatible with the
> needs to get a stable version of Californium 2.0.x ?
>
>     WDYT  ?

I understand your concerns regarding "convergence" of the 2.0.x branch. However,
the 2.0.x branch provides the opportunity to make some more radical changes that
involve breaking the API. This "window of opportunity" will be closed once we do
a 2.0.0 release and we will then need to create a 3.0.x branch in order to work
on other changes that will potentially break the API (again). IMHO we therefore
need to come to an agreement what we think should be part of 2.0.x and what
should be postponed to the next release(s).

The recent developments around the coap-over-tcp-draft have led me to believe
that we will not be able to have coap+tcp support (based on the latest coap-over-
tcp draft) in Californium any time soon. It also seems like we will need to do
some more (bigger) changes in Californium to support observations and clustering
over TCP correctly. Personally, I would therefore like to postpone TCP to a later
version.

The biggest problem I currently have with the 2.0.x branch is the quality of the
transparent blockwise transfer behavior. My gut tells me that we should remove
the Blockwise layer as part of 2.0.0 in order to simplify the core protocol stack
and make it easier to change things in the stack later on.

I know that I have been talking about this for quite some time now but haven't
really started to work on it. However, I really would like to get this into
2.0.0.

Maybe we can set a dead-line for work on 2.0.x and at that point simply release
whatever we then have finished?