Re: [cf-dev] Using Californium

Hi Matthias,

Usually, people first pick the OS and then buy the supported hardware.

I understand, but I bought my existing hardware for prototyping/testing/experimenting. Until now I mainly did the communication using MQTT and with some other boards just sending simple data over eg Xbee/Zigbee from the board to a gateway. So CoAP is new to me. But for some situations I definitely would like using it in my IoT solutions. In fact, although of course the protocols are different, it's the same thing as with MQTT where you also need a client on the edge-devices. The difference, if I'm right, with MQTT is that CoAP needs an embedded OS and MQTT can run on the metal, integrated in the firmware?

Do you have an opinion when to use MQTT and when to use CoAP?

I'll check out and try out the embedded you mentioned.

Many thanks,
Guy

Sent from my iPad