Re: [buckminster-dev] headless resolve with properties

Pressing on, I substituted hardcoded username/password in my rmap until I
find a resolution as to why the properties don't work.
Running my small headless test case (resolving a feature which has two
plugin dependencies) it seems to churn away okay (uses the hardcoded
authentication) for all my local components, but then it ends up failing
out on some eclipse components (looks like org.eclipse.ui and
org.eclipse.jface) ultimately throwing an exception (looks like probably a
bad exception string format returning null).

Note: my rmap contains a 'last-resort' redirect to the buckminster
dogfood2.rmap to pick up non-local components

My headless resolve bails out with:

Errors and Warnings
[0][0003] : Rejecting provider
eclipse.import(http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/3.3?importType=binary):
 No component match was found
Caused by: [0][0][0003] : PDEMapProvider
cvs(:pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/cvsroot/eclipse,org.eclipse.releng/maps):
 Unable to find org.eclipse.ui:osgi.bundle/[3.2.0,4.0.0)#OSGi in map
[0][0008] : Rejecting provider
eclipse.import(http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/3.3?importType=binary):
 No component match was found
Caused by: [0][0][0008] : PDEMapProvider
cvs(:pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
/cvsroot/eclipse,org.eclipse.releng/maps): Unable to find
org.eclipse.jface:osgi.bundle/[3.2.0,4.0.0)#OSGi in map
[0][0003] : Rejecting provider
eclipse.import(http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/3.3?importType=binary):
 No component match was found
Caused by: [0][0][0003] : PDEMapProvider
cvs(:pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/cvsroot/eclipse,org.eclipse.releng/maps):
 Unable to find org.eclipse.ui:osgi.bundle/[3.2.0,4.0.0)#OSGi in map
Exception in thread "Thread-14" java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.eclipse.buckminster.core.helpers.LocalizedException.getLocalizedFormat(LocalizedException.java:26)
        at
org.eclipse.buckminster.core.helpers.LocalizedException.getLocalizedMessage(LocalizedException.java:76)
        at java.lang.Throwable.toString(Throwable.java:343)
        at
org.eclipse.buckminster.core.helpers.FileUtils$1.run(FileUtils.java:8
00)

Now I noticed that the map file entries for the above components at
dev.eclipse.org have integration build version qualifiers:
plugin@org.eclipse.jface=I20080312-1200,:pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/cvsroot/eclipse,
plugin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx=I20080312-1200,:pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/cvsroot/eclipse,

Could that be throwing off the pde map provider? Looking inside the
repository, eg - org.eclipse.jface, the 3.4.0 version does seem to be
available, which suggests it should match if it finds it's way there via
the pde map.

I gather that there are people out there running headless (as gruesome as
it sounds :) ) with more success than I. Can anyone confirm
success/experience with the 1.0.0.r08941 product package? Is a prior
product package perhaps considered more stable?

Any suggestions welcome,
Thanks

             Todd_Lee@xxxxxxxx
             Sent by:
             buckminster-dev-b                                          To
             ounces@xxxxxxxxxx         Buckminster developer discussions
             g                         <buckminster-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             03/12/2008 10:46                                      Subject
             AM                        Re: [buckminster-dev] headless
                                       resolve with properties

             Please respond to
                Buckminster
                 developer
                discussions
             <buckminster-dev@
               eclipse.org>

As a follow up,

I tried opening a new workspace and running buckminster from the IDE with
the same CQUERY, using the properties for user.name and user.pass in the
CQUERY file - no problem. Resolve and materialize were completed using the
cvs authenication credentials provided (new workspace, so no cached
credentials).
As an aside - it looks like the property substitution doesn't take place
until the 'metadata refresh' stage, so I guess it does the component match
before 'filling in all the blanks' for the cvs provider containing
properties?

Any idea why my headless resolve would be failing where the IDE succeeds?

Thanks
Todd

Todd Lee
Software Tools
AMI Semiconductor
Tel:  +1.519.884.9696 ext 2242
Fax: +1.519.884.0228
E-mail: todd_lee@xxxxxxxx

             Todd_Lee@xxxxxxxx
             Sent by:
             buckminster-dev-b                                          To
             ounces@xxxxxxxxxx         Buckminster developer discussions
             g                         <buckminster-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             03/11/2008 06:20                                      Subject
             PM                        Re: [buckminster-dev] headless
                                       resolve with properties

             Please respond to
                Buckminster
                 developer
                discussions
             <buckminster-dev@
               eclipse.org>

Hey Thomas,
Thanks for the response. To try and narrow down the issue, I've changed the
rmap to skip the pde maps and hit cvs directly. Still get error on no CVS
Authenticator

): No component match was found
com.amis.platform:eclipse.feature: No provider was found that could resolve
the request
ERROR   [0001] : No suitable provider for component
com.amis.platform:eclipse.feature was found in searchPath amis.components
  ERROR   [0001] : Rejecting provider
cvs(:pserver:{0}:{1}@host:/path/to/cvsrep,path/to/module/{2}): No component
match was found
Authentication error: No CVS authenticator is registered

I'm still curious as to why the error strings contain unsubstituted
properties. Should they be substituted at this point? I would think that
the substitution would need to take place before CVS Authentication could
be accomplished (otherwise, what username/password do we use?)

Thanks
Todd

             Thomas Hallgren
             <thomas@xxxxxxx>
             buckminster-dev-b         Buckminster developer discussions
             ounces@xxxxxxxxxx         <buckminster-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             g                                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
             03/11/2008 05:52          Re: [buckminster-dev] headless
             PM                        resolve with properties

             Please respond to
                Buckminster
                 developer
                discussions
             <buckminster-dev@
               eclipse.org>

Hi Todd,
I see that you're using a pde map provider. Could it be that the first
cvs access (the one that retrieves the map files) works OK and that the
error occurs when an attempt is made to access one of components in the
map file?

If so, you might try adding user names and passwords to the entries in
the map files.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

http://dev.eclipse.org/newslists/news.eclipse.technology.buckminster/msg00507.html