Re: [birt-dev] Wiki Examples

Hi Jason,

Thanks for providing some more structure for the examples.

I agree that the Stored Procedure page could be split - are you thinking about having one page that is a generic Stored Procedure page with links to specific examples of Stored Procedures for different databases?  This seems good to me.

needs some more organization.  Maybe make each major category have it's own link (with a brief description of the contents of each category) and then have a new page for each category?

I've noticed that the new page encompasses 2 of the top level links on the website.

Name on wiki page        Name on WebSite link                URL
BIRT Tutorial                Tutorial                                        http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/tutorial/
BIRT Flash Videos        Examples                                    http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/examples/
(Also, the top level FAQ/Wiki >  FAQ > Examples points to this page.

Will it eventually point to these examples as well?

which is navigated to from the BIRT home page > Integration left frame link?

If the new page will point to the http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/deploy/ link, there might not be enough room on the new page, and instead it maybe should just contain links to the major categories of example types.

Also, I think the name 'BIRT Flash Videos' in the new page is a bit misleading because a) some of the other references mentioned above just call them 'Examples' and b) they contain a lot more information then just Flash Videos.  I'm worried people might not browse that link because of the name.  Maybe change the name to 'BIRT Flash Videos and Solution Reports'?

An overall question that may help me understand the current organization and give input into the structure going forward is the differentiation between content placed on the website and content which goes on the wiki.
I realize that content on the wiki can be edited by anyone with a bugzilla id, but I'm thinking more in terms of overall content organization.

Currently I find the organization of examples (regardless of where they come from) somewhat confusing, because they seem to reside in several different places and I don't understand how they are differentiated.

Where will the new page be referenced from?

On a slightly different topic, I give some input earlier about the organization of the web site, and think it is appropriate to discuss it here again.

Some of the current categories on the left nav are confusing to me. I'd like to suggest that there be some broader categories and then some sub categories.  For instance, the broad categories would be based more on the type of user that visits the website (user / report developer, contributor and committer information), versus the content categories we have now. I think this fits in with the redesign of the wiki examples.

Is this something the community is amenable to receiving input on?

Thanks again for doing this Jason, I realize organizing this is time consuming and non-trivial.

Regards,

Susan