Re: [atf-dev] Proposed reorg of the Xulrunner extension point and the way we interact with Mozilla bundles

Philippe

Here are my initial comments.

1. Why is this XULRunner extension point still in ATF? This is something that really should be in the platform. I think that we should get the platform team involved. I understand that it is easier and faster to keep it in the ATF family, but ATF doesn't own the embedded XULRunner browser anymore.

2. Not having org.eclipse.atf.mozilla.ide.core dependent on org.eclipse.core. The whole idea ATF core plugin was to provide base classes that all the other plugins need. As ATF moves forward I can see org.eclipse.atf.mozilla.ide.core becoming more dependent on ATF code plugin. I think that two different goals are being intermixed in one document.

a) A XULRunner plugin that is independent of ATF. I think that this support should be in the platform.

b) Adoptors want to use org.eclipse.atf.mozilla.ide.core independent of the rest of ATF. Why would anybody want to do this? We have had a number of request to separate out functionality in ATF. People wanted the embedded XULRunner browser support independent of the rest of ATF, so we worked with the platform team to move it into SWT. A number of ATF adopters requested that the HTTP server support be moved into WST, which was done for WTP 2.0. We had request for a version of ATF that ran on WST without JST, which was done in the latest milestone. There have even been requests for a version of ATF that is didn't require WTP. Nobody has requested to be able use eclipse.atf.mozilla.ide.core independent of the rest of ATF. I can image that someone may want to use the Browser Tools independent of the rest of ATF and WTP (org.eclipse.atf.mozilla.ide.core and org.eclipse.atf.mozilla.ide.ui). If that is the real requirement, then we should document that requirement and we can have a separate discussion on that topic.

I think that this discussion needs to be opened up to a larger audience than just ATF dev list, since it efforts effects people outside of the ATF community. While working with the large eclipse community, we may need to come up with some interim solution.

   Thanks
     Bob

Robert Goodman
goodmanr@xxxxxxxxxx

"Philippe Ombredanne" <pombredanne@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: atf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

08/29/2007 12:07 PM

Please respond to
pombredanne@xxxxxxxxx; Please respond to
AJAX Toolkit Framework discussion <atf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"'AJAX Toolkit Framework discussion'" <atf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[atf-dev] Proposed reorg of the Xulrunner extension point and the        way we interact with Mozilla bundles

All:
Please read that proposal and provide comment here in the list.
http://wiki.eclipse.org/ATF/Mozilla
I will be committing code in a  branch for everyone to review.
Cordially
--
Cheers
Philippe