Re: [atf-dev] org.mozilla.xulrunner plugin dependency

> The plugin.xml in the org.mozilla.xulrunner plugins do use an extension
> point in org.eclipse.atf.mozilla.ide.core. This extension point registers
> xulrunner with atf, so that the ATF infrastructure can set the location of
> XULRunner in a property that SWT looks for.

Isn't this dependency the inverse of it should be ?

shouldn't the org.mozilla.xulrunner be the one to setup this instead of ATF ?

> It would be possible to remove
> the dependency and leave the extension point. A plugin can have an
> extension point definition without having a dependency on the plugin that
> defines the extension point. In your case, I'm not sure how you would find
> the location of the XulRunner in the eclipse install.

Well, if xulrunner plugin had the extension point instead it would be trivial.

> The org.mozilla.xulrunner plugins were created before the Mozilla Browser
> support was added to SWT. For Eclipse 3.2, ATF had a set of fragments that
> would add the Mozilla browser support to the SWT component. In Eclipse
> 3.3, the code was moved out of ATF in the SWT. One of the things that was
> not moved, was the extension point for defining the location of XULRunner
> contained in a plugin. The SWT added the system property XULRUNNER_PATH
> and left it up to the users of XULRunner to figure out how to set the
> property.

yes, understood. Again - something the xulrunner plugin would be the best one
to do, right ?

> At some point there will be enough users of XULRunner to force the issue
> with the platform team to come up with a better solution.

Exactly - and I would like us to be able to distribute xulrunner without
having to depend on ATF (even though we probably will use that at some point,
but for now having a xulrunner is all that we need)

> All there has
> to be is two plugins with different versions of XULRunner for things not
> to work. I have submitted a CQ for packaging XULRunner on eclipse
> ([IPZilla CQ: 1528] XULRunner Version: 1.8.1.3). When this is approve,
> then it may be possible to move XULRunner into the eclipse Orbit system
> for third party software with a solution for registering XULRunner that
> isn't ATF dependent.
>
> The ATF team doesn't want to get into the business of maintaining
> XULRunner plugins for different groups. It would be possible for you to
> drag in the XULRunner plugins/features into a PDE environment, remove the
> dependency, change the date on the version, plugin id, etc and create you
> own set of plugins.

But then we will not be able to allow users running ATF side-by-side with us,
correct ?

/max