Re: [aspectj-users] jdk 1.5

We're working on wrapping up AspectJ 1.2.1.... and then the fun begins!

I see this going in three phases:

* In phase 1, we'll make sure that the weaver can cope with class files
produced by a Java 5 compiler. We already know of at least one item we
need to do here (see bug 70704) :- not creating join points for execution
/ call of methods that have the ACC_BRIDGE attribute, and we'll probably
take a look at covariance and also members with the ACC_ENUM attribute at
the same time and see if there is anything we need to do. Completion of
phase 1 will allow compilation of Java source using a Java 5 compiler, and
then subsequent binary weaving with AspectJ.

* In phase 2, we'll extend the AspectJ compiler so that it can compile the
new Java 5 features correctly. Mostly this involves waiting for the
Eclipse JDT team to get their Java 5 support sufficiently down the road,
and then we will pick this up and work out how to re-integrate it into
AspectJ. The Eclipse JDT compiler is currently supporting "several 1.5
features" (see
http://download2.eclipse.org/downloads/drops/S-3.1M1-200408122000/Eclipse-3.1-M1-News.html),
but they're not fully done yet.

* In phase 3, we'll look at changes in the AspectJ language (pointcut
expressions, treatment of generics, support of annotations, ...). The
language design work for phase 3 will begin once 1.2.1 is done and we're
waiting for phase 2 from the JDT team....

-- Adrian
Adrian_Colyer@xxxxxxxxxx

robert kuzelj <robert_kuzelj@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: aspectj-users-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
21/08/2004 16:05
Please respond to
aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx

aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[aspectj-users] jdk 1.5

just being curious...

i havent seen any discussions onto the extension
of jdk 1.5 features into aspectj so far.

what are the plans at the moment?

ciao robertj