Re: [asciidoc-wg] Announcing the relaunch of asciidoc.org

Now that I've had a chance to rest a bit, I want to take a moment to thank those who were involved in this effort.

First, thank you to the Eclipse Foundation for supporting our efforts and for being flexible in light of our requirements and requests. I'd like to give a shout out to Sharon Corbett, Paul Buck, Wayne Beaton, Christopher Guindon, and Matt Ward in particular. The source of the site is managed in a new area of the GitLab instance dedicated for Working Groups that's provided and managed by the Eclipse Foundation. We love being able to use GitLab to manage this site. The published site is hosted on a dedicated Netlify account that has been set up for our group. That account grants us the control we need to effectively manage the site and it's THE key reason why the rollout went so smoothly. It's so nice to be able to use modern infrastructure for development and hosting. It also proves to us that the Eclipse Foundation is truly committed to providing world class infrastructure for its projects and groups. (We will still keep pushing the needle towards progress, though).

Thank you to Ura Design for working with us to develop a brand identity, information architecture, and modern website design. Thank you to Jason Porter and Guillaume Grossetie for kicking off our engagement with Ura Design by workshoping logo concepts. I can't say enough good things about working with Ura Design. Throughout the process, they stayed one step ahead of us in providing us what we needed, and the way they collaborated with us always felt open and effortless. The results speak for themselves. We look forward to working with them in the future as we grow the AsciiDoc brand.

I'd also like to thank the design teams at Couchbase and the Eclipse Foundation. Although we didn't end up using those materials for the final designs, those early iterations certainly helped us to understand our needs and inform future decisions. It's been a team effort from the beginning and that means that every contribution was woven into the fabric of the result.

Thank you to Guillaume and his understudy, Marie Flores, for transforming the site design into a working site. There's a whole lot going on there in a small space and you should really appreciate it, even if you don't see it all. We would not have been able to achieve the implementation in the time we did without Guillaume's extensive depth of knowledge with AsciiDoc, Asciidoctor.js, and modern web development. The interactive editor alone, which allows visitors to try AsciiDoc without having to install any software, reflects YEARS of development work packed into a single widget. And the main content of the page is derived from an AsciiDoc file, made possible by yet another substantial innovation. We're so proud to be able to maintain a site about AsciiDoc in AsciiDoc!

Thank you to Amarantha Kulkarni, Sarah White, and Ura Design for working with me on the original content, and to Sarah, Guillaume, and Alexander Schwartz for countless reviews, edits, and revisions to the content throughout the process. The language comparisons, in particular, are the product of an extensive amount of research by Sarah to learn the other languages and distill relevant examples of each language when put side-by-side with AsciiDoc. That tool alone should help visitors efficiently evaluate AsciiDoc and to help remind us what our mission is with the language.

Finally, thank you to everyone in the WG and community who has supported this effort, whether it was through feedback on the issues, attending meetings, voting on deliverables, or participating in this group in general. This project was our first true test of how well we work on a project together, and I'm pleased to say that it's been a success. Here's to achieving many more milestones together in the future! 🍻

Best Regards,

-Dan

--
Dan Allen, Vice President | OpenDevise Inc.
Pronouns: he, him, his

Back to the top