Re: [asciidoc-wg] AsciiDoc implementation for the Java/JVM ecosystem / project proposal

I would be somewhat surprised if web to PDF can generate PDF results that are suitable for pre-press.  One of the things I like about asciidoctor-pdf is that I can take the results, and with only a modest amount of extra effort turn them into print-ready documents that I can use for publication.

I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one.  (O’Reilly?)

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Dan Allen
Sent: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 10:34 AM
To: AsciiDoc Working Group Discussions
Subject: Re: [asciidoc-wg] AsciiDoc implementation for the Java/JVM ecosystem / project proposal

Graeme,

Yes, the plan is to eventually address other output formats such as PDF as well. There are just a lot of other things to solve first, so we'd be getting ahead of ourselves if we tried to start there.

Producing PDFs consistently and with full fidelity is always going to be a challenge since PDF is a such a constrained and esoteric format. I've come to accept more recently that the most direct and capable path to get there is to go through the browser engine (web to PDF). The reason is that the web provides a tremendously strongly layout engine which can then be readily distilled into the fixed, page-oriented medium of a PDF. We're currently experimenting with this approach in the Asciidoctor project.

Having said that, the main focus of the specification project, at least initially, is only the AsciiDoc language, not the output formats. The whole idea behind AsciiDoc is to give you the power and control to produce the publishable format you want to create. So while there will be some stipulations about what must be produced, we will never go so far as to dictate the style. That variation you talk about is one of the strengths, not weaknesses.

Best Regards,

-Dan

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 10:56 AM Graeme Smecher <gsmecher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

> 6. Conversion to PDF

I suspect this is deliberately last on the agenda because it's not time
yet. I'm taking the bait anyway...

Given the state of the AsciiDoc-to-PDF workflow (XML-FO, dblatex, CSS3
paged media, asciidoctor-pdf): is there a plan to address PDF generation
at a WG level, rather than on an implementation-by-implementation basis?

As an enthusiastic AsciiDoc user, I find the PDF flow to be the most
fragmented, least consistent, and most frustrating part of the ecosystem
right now. If each language stack follows a different technical path
towards PDF generation I think it will be a missed opportunity.

I have a conflicting meeting today but will be following the mailing
list eagerly.

thanks,
Graeme