Re: [asciidoc-wg] Call to form the Steering Committee under revised terms

Dan/All,

The Eclipse Foundation remains committed to enabling the AsciiDoc community of interested parties to fulfill the objectives as laid out in the draft charter. Specifically, the objective of creating an open specification for AsciiDoc is a laudable goal.

Keep in mind the reason for a working group is to go beyond what is normally done within an open source development project, where the rules of engagement are well defined and the costs for the Foundation in supporting it are relatively small. The working group, as captured in its charter, provides a framework for organizations and individuals interested in driving the initiative forward to engage.

Each working group is expected to define a set of program initiatives. With respect to working groups interested in generating open specifications, its program initiatives must include as a minimum fulfillment of two key responsibilities:
	• to ensure the Eclipse Foundation Specification Process is managed appropriately, and
	• to ensure the Eclipse Foundation trademark policy is adhered to and customized for AsciiDoc compatibility and branding.

Both these responsibilities lie both with the various committees of the working group, and with the Foundation staff as well. The Foundation's responsibilities in this regard exist to benefit and to protect the members of the initiative, the implementers of the specification, and ultimately the adopters of those implementations. And the effort required is not insignificant.

Dan, the proposed changes don’t meet the mark of enabling these responsibilities to be met.  We understand that your recommendation to eliminate the fees is intended to attract broader participation of corporations. We would need to see that broader commitment. But equally important in the charter as originally contemplated was to enable the costs of operating the working group to be covered. The elimination of the fees exacerbated the shortfall in covering the costs with no alternate solution put forward.

We recognize there is significant interest as individuals to enable this initiative to go forward, and funding is challenging.  Indeed, this broad interest is the reason I and my colleagues have invested such a significant amount of time in this endeavor.  Getting both this charter and governance framework clearly defined, as well as establishing a means for the initiative to be sustainable, is a requirement that serves all of us in both the short and long term.

Dan, we would welcome a call with you and other organizations that have expressed interest by response to your post to discuss the proposed changes to the charter and to explore how to meet the shortcomings identified here.

Hope this helps.
Paul

Paul White
VP, Member Services | Eclipse Foundation, Inc.
paul.white@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
+1.613.852.4303 (mobile)