[asciidoc-wg] Intro + feedback

Hello there!

I just subscribed to this mailing list.

I'm a part time, self-made tech writer for software projects. I use
AsciiDoc (the Python version, most of the time; not that I want this,
but I could elaborate on the motives) to write design documents,
format/language/protocol specifications, manual pages, as well as full
project documentation.

My usual workflow for everything that is public is to go from AsciiDoc
to DocBook, and then use my own processor to get from DocBook to HTML.

Some documentation projects I wrote in AsciiDoc and maintain:

* LTTng Documentation: <https://lttng.org/docs/>

* LTTng manual pages: <https://lttng.org/man/>

* Babeltrace manual pages: <https://babeltrace.org/>

* Common Trace Format 2 specification proposal:
  <https://diamon.org/ctf/files/CTF2-PROP-1.0.html>

As a writer of technical documentation, I'm a heavy unordered/ordered
list, description list, and table user. Being able to nest those,
although how to do so is not always straightforward, is one of the top
reasons I choose AsciiDoc.

I was about to give some more detailed feedback about the AsciiDoc(tor)
format, but I see Sarah White already wrote (10 March):

> I submitted the draft proposal for the AsciiDoc specification, TCK,
> and related artifacts to the EMO (Eclipse Management Organization) on
> Thursday (03/05).

My question is: is it too late to indicate which parts of the AsciiDoc
format I'd like to see changed/improved?

Thank you for your work. Although I'm not a fan of all the parts of the
AsciiDoc format, it has filled my needs pretty well for years with some
tweaks and hacks.

This mailing list made me discover Antora and I'm looking forward to
trying it as a replacement or complement of Jekyll.

Philippe Proulx

Back to the top