From: ajdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ajdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Matt Chapman
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 9:28 AM

To: AspectJ Development Tools developer discussions
Subject: Re: [ajdt-dev] AspectJ Perspective?

This is an interesting issue. If implemented, it wouldn't stop anything that works today from working - users could continue to use the Java perspective for AspectJ development, just as I use the Java perspective for plug-in development, instead of the Plug-in Development perspective. Perspectives are little more than a layout of views and as eclipse users are already familiar with this concept, I think adding an new perspective as an "optional extra" has a fairly low risk of causing confusion. The other question is of course what could be gained from such a new perspective. I can only think of the things already mentioned, a layout of the 2 AJDT views, and providing a key binding for Ctrl-Shift-T to open AspectJ type instead of open Java type. I'd say it's debatable whether this is worth the implementation cost, as the new perspective would have to contribute everything the Java one does (and keep this up-to-date as the Java one changes over time). Does anyone have any thoughts as to what else such a perspective could offer?

Regards,

Matt.