Re: [Wtp-wst-dev] Generic/Custom Server Runtime support

very cool, thanks man!  Yeah, I had no intention of sounding rude or impatient.  I just wanted to know if I was asking the right list and so I just copied my question in just in case.  I'm an os developer myself and I know how things don't happen overnight when it's mostly done on peoples spare time.  Thanks for your contributions.  I'll give the newsgroup a shot!

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 10:19 AM, David M Williams <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

wtp-dev is the right list.

Well, actually, the eclipse.webtools newsgroup might even be better!  :)
This list (and wtp-dev) is the mailing list for committers actually producing WTP, where as the news groups are best for people using or extending WTP.

But, most important, it usually takes more that 12 hours (and over night on the US East Coast at that!) for someone to respond. And, it'll may be longer this time, since I think some of the people to best answer your question are out of the office. Typically, I'd give it 3 days or so before re-probing.

But, in general we're a friendly bunch, and interested in helping you out, so someone will respond eventually.
(But, if you post to eclipse.webtools newsgroup, you are likely to hit a broader audience of other adopters who may have had the same questions as you and maybe found an answer ... and its more world wide, so you might even get a response "overnight"  :)

Thanks,

From: "Dominick Accattato" <daccattato@xxxxxxxxx>
To: wtp-wst-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 06/02/2008 10:09 AM
Subject: [Wtp-wst-dev] Generic/Custom Server Runtime support

List members:

** Sorry for the double post, but I sent this to wtp-dev and haven't seen any activity.  If there is a better list to send my questions to, please advise. **

---
I am trying to add tooling support for Red5 which is an Flash Server.  In particular, I'm trying to add Server runtime support to our application server.  For a quick screencast of the functionality, please see here:
http://www.infrared5.com/2008-05-31_1618.swf

Here is some information about my plugin.  The Server runtime is configured using the generic server definition which uses a server definition file and an Ant build file.  I'm not sure if I've chosen the correct implementation.  I think that I might have been better off using a custom server runtime.  However I understand that it requires more effort which I'm willing to do if I can't fulfill all of the plugin requirements.

Requirements:
  • deploy and run the application
  • debug the application (like Tomcat, etc...)
  • start and stop the server

What I have working currently:
  • deploy and run the application
  • start and stop the server

I have a few questions:

1.        Is this the correct list to post these questions to?
2.        Can a generic server have debug support, by clicking "debug on server"?
3.        The application server does have "Remote Java Application" debug support using jdwp.  Is this how the other server runtimes debug their applications (servers like tomcat, etc...)
4.        Where can I find the source for the Tomcat server plugin source code?  I've seen the glassfish source, but haven't looked too much into it yet.
5.         Is there any place where I can find more information on custom server runtime plugin development?  I've checked a lot of resources but it seems many just talk about the generic server definition support like I currently have.
Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.  I look forward to any tips/pointers etc.. that may help me add debugging support to my plugin.

--
Dominick Accattato, CTO
Infrared5 Inc.