Re: [Wtp-wst-dev] The state of WST: Improving non-Java Web Development

David M Williams wrote:

I have written some thoughts and notes on how to improve non-Java Web Development.

It is currently very preliminary ... a document simply to organize my thoughts ... but will evolve over the next few months to provide direct input to our WTP 3.0 requirements and plan.

In the spirit of open development I just wanted to let the community know it was there. Comments, suggestions, (volunteers? :) are certainly welcome!

http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/development/nonJavaWebDevelopment/

Dave I've reviewed this and as a user that primarily just uses the various XML and WSDL portions of the WST here are my thoughts:

1. WSDL Editor - Allow the ability to generate a sample input and response messages from the WSDL. SOAP UI has this ability and it makes it very convient for testing WSDL.

2. WSDL Explorer - Remove the dependency on the Java tooling and development features for the WSDL Explorer. Many times I just want to test interoperability with an existing service, and don't want all the extra items, as I'm not developing a web service per say, but just testing some changes to make sure they are compatible with an existing service.

3. XML Sample Instance Generation - several outstanding issues (I've filed bug reports on several) in generating samples from XSD. A wider suite of existing XSD needs to be run through the editor. Maybe running the W3C XSD Test Suite through eclipse web tools as unit tests would be beneficial.

4. Basic XSLT support. I know there was a proposal at one time and believe the Eclipse bug tracker still has it logged as somebody was willing to provide code to the project for XSLTs.

5. Performance - There are still several issues especially with large XSDs or XML files on performance when trying to edit using the WST tools. This greatly affects the day to day usability on these files.

6. WS-I - The WS-I compliance tools need to be more readily accessible to the end user. As it is now, there is no easy way for a non-technical person to run and generate the WS-I compliance reports, and setup the Monitor and Analyser tasks.

7. WS-I - It would be nice to have a clean seperation of Eclipse IDE specific integration and still be able to run the WS-I tools as a seperate piece from Eclipse. I've created a bug report, with some patches to allow this but it would be nice to know exactly which pieces have to be exported along with the WS-I tools to run as a seperate task.

8. WS-I - Easier and quicker additions as new Basic Profiles are released by the WS-I. Allow custom profiling on what WS-I steps are validated and what aren't.

Back to the top