Re: [Wtp-wst-dev] Project granularity

Hi Dave,

>For example, there are 13 plug-ins for document validation, whereas the
>entire JDT consists of only 6 plug-ins (ignoring documentation).  Separate
>plug-ins are provided for xml, dtd, xsd, mof, html, wsdl, ear, and ejb doc
>types.  This small granularity would enable updating specific doc types
>(e.g. HTML) separate from others (e.g. DTD or XML).  But updating small
>modules is rare in practice.

The initial assumptions in the organization of the project were to split it up into 'components' along the lines of specifications.  So by this definition we'll probably have at least one validator per component.   It would seem odd to me to organize the project this way and then lump the validators all together (perhaps as one large 'validation' plugin).

>I recall an earlier comment/question about possibly absorbing the tabbed
>property view (used in the XSD editor and others) into the Eclipse core.
>This will likely be used outside of WTP.  For now, I merged
>com.ibm.xtools.common.ui.properties into org.eclipse.wtp.ui plug-in, but if
>it may be added to Eclipse core in 3.1, but we should keep it separate.

That's a good suggestion to collapse the properties ui into the wst.ui plugin.  I'll talk this over with the original contributors of this plugin to see if there's any issues to prevent this.

>I've successfully migrated the XSD editor into the new package structure in
>CVS.  The consensus is to wait for IBM's refresh before committing anything
>to CVS, but is anyone else interested in an XSD editor that works with M1?
>There is still no validation (of XSD docs or XML against an XSD).  If the
>code refresh is still a few weeks away, I'll probably migrate the validation
>plug-ins to the new WTP packages also.

Here's an update on our progress to refresh our plugins and get the source into CVS.  Hopefully this information will be of use if you're keen to start planning work around the xml plugins.

properties ui,  xsd editor  ---  These plugins have been checked into CVS now.  We'll be working today to update the map files to get these plugins building in automated builds.  We'll be continue to clean and polsih these plugins over the nest couple of weeks.  That's a good suggestion to collapse the properties ui into the wst.ui plugin.  I'll talk this over with the original contributors of this plugin to see if there's any issues to prevent this.

wsdl model, wsdl editor --- We'll be checking these plugins into CVS today.  We hope to get them building by the end of the week.

xml validators (xml, xsd, dtd) --- We've started migrating the code to WTP already.  These plugins depend on the 'validation framework' plugin that Chuck Bridgham will be refreshing shortly (ETA end of this week).  We hope to have these components checked into CVS early next week.

thanks

Craig

Craig Salter
Rational Studio XML Web Services
Internal Mail: D3/RY6/8200 /MKM
Phone: (905) 413-3918  TL: 969-3918 FAX: (905) 413-4920
Internet: csalter@xxxxxxxxxx     Notes: Craig Salter/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA

"Dave Carlson" <dcarlson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-wst-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/31/2004 04:09 PM

Please respond to
wtp-wst-dev

<wtp-wst-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[Wtp-wst-dev] Project granularity

Has there been any discussion about project granularity in WTP?  I can
understand the rationale for most of the plug-in divisions in the original
IBM contribution, which has ~150 plug-ins, but wonder if this is
necessary/desirable?

[...]

Regards,
 Dave Carlson
 http://www.XMLmodeling.com