Re: [wtp-releng] New build and development streams are open for business

David,

I think the write-up that you were looking for is here:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/WTP_How_to:_Branching_Policy_and_Practices

It seems though that the described Practices don't very well represent the normal scenario in WTP, which is that branching for maintenance (for non map file projects) often happens after maintenance changes have been been made in HEAD.  We should probably come up with a standard procedure for that case and update the document.  This would largely be to come up with a standard name for the branch root in these cases.

Neil

David M Williams wrote:

I have set up new builds for WTP 3.2.1 and WTP 3.3.0.

WTP 3.3.0 is represented by the HEAD of the map files, and
WTP 3.2.1 has branched map files, as described below.

I looked for our previous write-up of how/when to actual branch your code ...
in contrast to the maps which always have to be branched for maintenance ...
but, I could not find it on our wiki. Let us know if any of you know where it is.

In brief, while you are doing ONLY maintenance (so maintenance and "next major release"
are the same code) you can develop in only HEAD, but just be sure to release to the branched map files.
You can often "compare" or merge branched map files with HEAD, so they have the exact same version tags
in both map files ... there is not really a need to "release" twice.

And then ... once maintenance and "next major release" code streams start to differ, we have agreed in the
past that code in the same map file, should all be branched together, at the same time, and comments in the map file updated.
This makes it easier for others to "load up" an environment for what ever stream they are working on,
where as if done bundle by bundle, no one can easily figure that out what's what.
[suggestions are welcome ... especially if you write it up on our wiki :)

Let us know if any issues or errors in the branching or build results.

Thanks,

= = = = = = =

WTP 3.2.1 map files branched

JSDT