Re: [wtp-releng] recent failure in 3.1 builds due to Dali?

The more I think about it, I think provisional API changes should never be a major increase. After all, they are not API!
The thing that should also be written down is that clients that use provisional API should specify their pre-reqs just as if they used non-API ... namely, a narrow minor field, so that way there's not  any risk of breaking if/when the provisional-API changes. There may always be exceptions to the rule, but think that's the rule.

From: Neil Hauge <neil.hauge@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Webtools releng discussion list <wtp-releng@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 08/20/2008 04:15 PM
Subject: Re: [wtp-releng] recent failure in 3.1 builds due to Dali?

In this case we are probably changing one provisional API to another provisional API.  My thinking is that the provisional API should either be removed, changed, or solidified (if it has been stable for a release cycle, etc).

I think it is likely that for the API that will be changing, there may not be many affected adopters, if any, but I guess I will try to make a best guess on that, along with some research.

This will certainly be a tough one to sort out.

Neil

David M Williams wrote:

I'm not sure it's written down either, but normally we don't consider provisional API to official API as an API breaking change.

But I can see it argued either way, but suspect there's a case-by-case aspect the decision. If we knew lots of people
were using a provisional API, and we really _broke_ that API while making if official, then client's code would not run with it, so

best to move up major version number, On the other extreme, if making a provisional API into an  official API just involved fixing
JavaDoc then best to not automatically break al clients and just make a minor version increase.

Good luck sorting this one out!