Re: [wtp-pmc] Google Summer of Code (GSoC)

Hi Wayne,

I am registered as a mentor...

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 11:44 PM, Wayne Beaton <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Greetings Web Tools,

Google Summer of Code (GSoC) is a programme run annually by Google. They
provide funding for students to work on open source projects. There is
more information on the GSoC website [1]

There are several proposals in the GSoC system that may be of interest
to Web Tools projects. AFAIK, we do not have any mentors registered from
Web Tools (I may be wrong here). I am concerned that we may be missing
some opportunities.

It would be great if we could get one or more committers from your
projects to register as mentors so that they can get access to the
student proposals. Registering to be a mentor does not automatically
grant you a student. You have to volunteer to mentor the project and
that project needs to actually be accepted by Google's process. In the
end, there may be nothing of value for you there. But it would be a
shame to miss out on this opportunity.

Our participation information [2] is in the wiki. There, you will find a
link to an "Ideas" page where you can capture some ideas for students to
use as a basis for their proposals. There is also a link to the soc-dev
mailing list.

Thanks for your consideration,

Wayne

[1] http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2011