Re: [wtp-pmc] Proposal for JSDT as a project

Mike Milinkovich wrote:
The phrase “...the JavaScript debugging support currently being developed within the e4 Project...” caught my eye.

IMHO, e4 needs a “killer app” in the way that JDT was for the original Eclipse versions. I’ve hold little hope that the JDT project in its current form could fill that role.

The killer app for the original release was, IMHO, everything it contained: the combination of a cross-platform high performance widget set, the JFace abstractions on top of it, the astonishingly good Java tools, the PDE, documentation, and other things I'm sure I'm forgetting, all working in concert. I don't know that this project alone can be that, nor do I think any single project can claim to be that in the increasingly diverse Eclipse ecosystem. The movement of the debugging support is, as in other cases, happening because it can safely be run on the 3.x platform. Work on supporting bundles written in JavaScript is very likely to remain in e4, at least through Helios.

Is a native e4 implementation (e.g. one not relying upon the 3.x compatibility platform) of these JavaScript tools within the scope of this project? Is aligning the release schedule of this project with e4 part of the plan?

It's neither part of the scope nor specifically excluded from it, but I hadn't thought to have it in our plan for this June. Getting us to a JDT level of polish by then is our main focus, and that's no small feat. If the proposal draws the attention of contributors who want to aid in such an effort while keeping JSDT runnable on 3.6, I'd definitely be open to reevaluating that position.

I would also note that this project lacks diversity. All of the committers are from IBM. Who else wants to step up to participate? Can we please (pretty please!) endeavour to create more diversity on this project before it is formally created?

I'm working on an updated version to address Neil's specificity questions, and to list at add a non-IBMer as an interested party. However, I will be limiting the initial list of committers to folks who are bringing in code that they're going to keep working on, which I believe is how things are also handled in e4-land. Anything less would feel disrespectful to the folks who earned their Committer privileges during the time that JSDT has been a shipping component of WTP Source Editing.

--
---
Nitin Dahyabhai

Back to the top