RE: [wtp-pmc] Critical Web services bug 161250 needed in WTP 1.5.2

Thanks Tim,
there's a patch in the bug, and it was tentatively committed/released yesterday based on David's one vote at the time, and with the usual proviso that we be prepared to retract it if anyone objected. For some reason, it took nearly 24 hours for my emails to work their way thru the wtp-dev and wtp-pmc mechanisms and get sent out to subscribers.

Cheers - CB.

Chris Brealey
Senior Advisory Technical Manager, Rational Java Web Services, IBM Canada Ltd.
D3-275, D3/ENX/8200/MKM, 8200 Warden Avenue, Markham, Ontario, Canada, L6G 1C7
cbrealey@xxxxxxxxxx, 905.413.6038, tieline:969.6038, fax:905.413.4920

"Tim Wagner" <twagner@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/26/2006 11:10 AM

Please respond to
"WTP PMC communications \(including coordination, announcements,        and Group discussions\)" <wtp-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"WTP PMC communications (including coordination, announcements,        and Group discussions)" <wtp-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [wtp-pmc] Critical Web services bug 161250 needed in WTP 1.5.2

Thanks for the heads-up, Chris. Let us know when you have a patch. Sounds like this is serious enough to require a re-spin.

[wtp-pmc] Critical Web services bug 161250 needed in WTP 1.5.2

PMC,

a bug we found recently in WTP 1.5.2 has turned out to be much worse, 161250. The bug causes the Web service wizard to throw an exception while checking for the existence and currency of "webserviceutils.jar" in a Web project to which Web service sample JSPs are about to be generated. It occurs whenever spaces are involved in the installation path of the platform. It occurs at the point we try to construct a java.net.URI from a file: URL string that has non-encoded spaces (ie. " " instead of "%20").

This is a regression, and while I try to figure out why we have not found this before, is one I consider stop-ship for the release. We are in the process of writing a simple patch since the root problem is quite basic in nature, but I wanted to get this bug on the PMC's radar right away in the hope of pre-starting the voting process. I'll post to wtp-dev & wtp-pmc again once we have the patch applied to the bug and extremely well tested.

Sorry for the 11th hour alarm, and thanks for your support.