Re: [wtp-incubator-dev] Provisioning all set and done!

DOUG SATCHWELL wrote:
I still don't have access. However, my preference is to start from scratch and port bits from each project as needed!

Yeah, I still don't have access yet either.

The main thing we need to do is to establish the target platform. I think we could stay on a steady version (Europa 3.3 fall2 drop), and occasionally move up a version as required. There should not be too many dependencies on the rest of WTP, so that shouldn't matter anyway.

I've submitted a couple of bug requests for enhancements that I think we can leverage. One of the issues with both OrangeVolt XSLT's and X-Assist is that you have to include a xsi:schemaLocation attribute with a reference to the corresponding schema for XSLT. X-Assist dynamically adds a DTD for content proposal, but this doesn't do anything for validity of the XSLT as you are working on it. The thought here was to extend the existing WTP/SSE/Validation framework to allow an editor to specify what Grammar should be used. This way, when you run into the situation where two versions of a particular specification fall under the same namespace, the editor can choose which grammar to use.

In our case with XSLT, it'll rely on the version attribute to indicate what grammar should be used (i.e. either a 1.0 schema or a 2.0 schema). I'll post the bug numbers later.

In the first iteration, I think we should aim for the ability to setup and run a transformation using one of the built-in XSLT processors. That sounds like quite alot but actually we have some very good existing code that can do just that.
I'm working with one of the other eclipse committers to try and get a version of Saxon 9.0 B included that strips out any of the IP concerns (i.e. any dependency on GPL code). I have a stripped down version that is completely MPL 1.0 licensed code, so I think I can work it through the IP process to allow us to have Saxon 9 for XSLT 2.0 support.

In subsequent iterations, we can add debugging and then look into source editing, validation etc. that hasn't had that much attention yet.
As for which code base to use, that I leave to you guys. My best contribution is going to probably be bug fixes, and just testing useability. I use XSLT on a daily basis, so work with it quite extensively. I've grown used to certain debugging features from Oxygen XML that I would like to see in the base eclipse xslt editor/debugger as well.

Hopefully, my committer paperwork makes it through the process soon.

Dave

Back to the top