[wtp-dev] New Target Management 4.5.0 build (and its impact on downstream consumers like DLTK and Simrel)

Today, I completed a long-standing request [0] to merge the TM.Terminal and TM.RSE builds into a single git repo, mvn reactor, jenkins job [1], and update site [2].

As part of this change, ALL the artifacts in TM and RSE have been upversioned to 4.5.0, so that everything in the repo is consistently versioned. This includes the 0.x, 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, and 4.x artifacts from the Photon release.

The result of this is that if your project depends on some org.eclipse.dstore, org.eclipse.tm, or org.eclipse.rse bundle or feature with a version limited to < 4.0, your build will fail when you move up to this new version. But because the only changes I've done have involved reorganization & update site merging, not API changes, it's entirely safe to move your dependency up from 3.0.0 or [3.0,4.0) to simply 4.5.0.

As an example of how to make this change, here's a proposed fix for DLTK [2]:

After that fix is applied and built, DLTK 5.10 should be contributed to simrel instead of 5.9rc4, which is in there right now.

  <repositories location="http://download.eclipse.org/technology/dltk/updates-dev/milestone/5.9rc4/" description="DLTK 5.9">

These changes should fix the failure I'm seeing when trying to build the simrel site against the new TM 4.5.0-SNAPSHOT update site:

Dynamic Languages Toolkit - Remote Development Support 5.9.0.201806080529 (org.eclipse.dltk.rse.feature.group 5.9.0.201806080529) requires 'org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu; org.eclipse.rse.core.feature.group [3.0.0,4.0.0)' but it could not be found

Once all the projects that depend on RSE, TM, or dstore plugins/features have been updated, I can then merge this PR without breaking the simrel site.

If you need help migrating your project over, I'm happy to contribute a BZ and PR.

Cheers,

--

Nick Boldt

Principal Software Engineer, RHCSA

IM: @nickboldt / @nboldt / http://nick.divbyzero.com

“The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change” - Heraclitus

Back to the top