Re: [wtp-dev] JSDT meeting agenda 20151103

Hi Gorkem,

Here some information I would like to tell you:

 * _javascript_ Debugger. It should be very cool if someone could implement a debuger for tern.java to debug ternjs like Webclipse and Nodeclipse have done https://github.com/angelozerr/tern.java/tree/master/eclipse/debuggers. This feature is soon finished and it gives you the capability to debug ternjs en your custom tern plugin with Eclipse IDE. You select the debugger you wish with a tern.java NodeJS preferences, you set a breakpoint in the tern.js file (ex: where completion is executed). You open a JS editor and you do Ctrl+Space and debugger stops to the breakpoint. So now it's very easy to debug ternjs with Eclipse IDE.

 * TypeScript Langage Service. I have studied that at first by playing with :

 * http://typecsdev.com/
 * https://github.com/palantir/eclipse-typescript

And I find there are a big problem with performance: my Eclipse freezes soon.

To be honnest with you, I don't understand what you mean with "Can be used as an alternate to tern.js". TypeScript needs to declare variable with type (ex: var p: Person) although _javascript_ needs not that and ternjs is able to guess the type. In my side, I have started to study how we could support Angular2 which is based on TypeScript https://github.com/angelozerr/angularjs-eclipse/issues/164 and I have several ideas to support TypeScript with tern.java:

 * TypeScript  provides a tsserver which uses TypeScript Language Service. It works with "readline" and not with "http" (tern.java works only with "http"). My first idea is to use TypeScript Language Service inside tern.java by customizing JSON request/response of tsserver to adapt it for ternjs. See project https://github.com/angelozerr/tern-tsserver What is the benefit with existing Eclipse TypeScript plugins: the async completion of tern.java https://github.com/angelozerr/tern.java/wiki/New-and-Noteworthy-0.9.0#async-tern-completion which avoid freezing Eclipse.

 * my second idea (my prefered idea, but which is hard) is to implement an acorn plugin for TypeScript like https://github.com/RReverser/acorn-jsx have done for JSX. I have started at https://github.com/angelozerr/tern-typescript/blob/master/acorn-ts.js . Today I can support declaration type like (var a: Person). The benefit with that is that we will able to use tern plugins features to customize completion for Angular2.

Regard's Angelo

Updated the agenda with minutes.