Re: [wtp-dev] JSDT meeting 20151013

On 2015-10-14, 9:15 AM, "wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Gorkem
Ercan" <wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of gorkem.ercan@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>On 14 Oct 2015, at 3:55, Mickael Istria wrote:
>
>> On 10/14/2015 06:28 AM, Doug Schaefer wrote:
>>> BTW, Visual Studio offers to install Node.js in it¹s main
>>> installer. It is
>>> highlighted as 3rd Party and a Link is presented for the Node license
>>> right on github. It would be awesome if the Eclipse Installer was
>>> allowed
>>> to do the same.
>> Sure, but keep in mind that several IDEs would like to benefit from a
>> way to install nodejs without having to use the installer.
>> Although, for a user who wouldn't use JavaScript, there would be no
>> reason to annoy them with nodejs at that point.
>> IMO, it's still best to have a wizard allowing node.js installation
>> from
>> running IDE when it becomes useful.

Agreed. Node.js should be optional. It is optional in Visual Studio.

I¹m just worry that my Qt JavaScript users aren¹t thinking about node.js.
They¹re writing JavaScript that runs in the QtDeclarative run-time. So
they wouldn¹t thinking to install it. And popping up a wizard in the
middle of some seemingly unrelated workflow is a pretty awful experience.

>Not sure about explicit wizards. P2 can invoke native installers, why
>not utilize that?

Or something like that. As I mentioned in Max¹s response, if we can
provide a Eclipse Marketplace entry for this we can do things like adding
an optional node.js feature.

Back to the top