[wtp-dev] Heads up: Java EE Tools is branching for 3.2 after 3.1 RC4

Just a brief announcement, Java EE Tools will be branching our plug-ins for 3.2 development shortly after RC4 is declared. Some committers have 3.2 changes waiting to go and we want to minimize the chances of conflicts now that we're fairly certain what will be in the final 3.1 delivery. HEAD will become our 3.2 branch while R3_1_maintenance will reflect 3.1 RC4 (and the rest of the 3.1.x development stream). The releng.jeetools map file project from HEAD will still be used for 3.1 builds. What does this mean to you?

If you only download WTP builds from eclipse.org: nothing, you're fine.

If you check out WTP Java EE Tools source code from CVS: for 3.1, you'll want to use the R3_1_maintenance branch. HEAD will be our 3.2 branch.

If you're a WTP Java EE Tools Committer: do NOT release code from the HEAD branch after RC4 is declared unless the releng team says otherwise. The map file project in HEAD will still be used for our 3.1 builds which means you'll need to switch your projects to the R3_1_maintenance branch. Yes, this means we won't have 3.2 builds for a while and that any changes made into R3_1_maintance for RC5/Release will need to be manually applied to HEAD as well. The branching is a compromise so that our code changes are merged together, at least in source form, immediately. That makes running the AllTestsSuite from development/org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.tests locally more important than ever for those of us who don't have local builds set up. I expect to do the branching shortly after RC4 is declared, and I'll send an email when it's done.

(With thanks/accreditation to Nitin for his "Heads up: Source Editing is branching for 3.2 after 3.1RC1" note, upon which this was based.)

Sincerely,

- Carl Anderson
WTP programmer

Back to the top