From: David Carver <dcarver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 07/29/2008 06:54 PM
Subject: Re: [wtp-dev] XML Catalog - namespaces or schemaLocations ... or both

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/entity/specs/cs-entity-xml-catalogs-1.0.html

> Yes, I tried to digest it, without much luck.  There seems to be a lot
> of circular definition, such as: "The system entry indicates that an
> entity manager must use the associated URI reference to locate the
> replacement text for an entity with the specified /system
> identifier/."  I'm still unclear what the "system" term is referring
> to.  I'm hoping for a layman's "use the uri tag /here/, the public tag
> /here/, and the system tag /here/ ..."  The extension point
> description doesn't seem to help me much in this regard.  It *seems*
> to me that public and system are pre-XML Schema terms, and since we
> are not having to deal with anything other than schemas re: JPA (and I
> should note that my pre-XML Schema knowledge is ... absent), I might
> be able to safely ignore those.

A lot of this terminology is a carry over from the DTD.   In DTD there
are two types of entries:

System - which is a private local version of the grammar.
Public - an externally referenced grammar.
System Identifier - (think of this as where the item can be found, it
could be a url.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_identifier

An example of a System Identifier is:

"
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

|Where the items in between the quotes is the System Identifier.
http://xmlwriter.net/xml_guide/doctype_declaration.shtml

An XML.com article has a pretty go description of this:

The SYSTEM identifier tells the XML parser where to find the DTD file on
the system. An optional PUBLIC identifier can specify another string for
the parser to use when locating a DTD file. These usually use a string
similar to the following, which avoids any system-specific information
to make the document more portable across different systems.

http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/09/04/xslt.html?page=2

I'll have to think on your example, but I know that you can't use the
XML Catalog to do what you want.   The namespace would be identified
twice, and you can't have duplicate entries, as the key is the namespace
name.

Dave