RE: [wtp-dev] Convention for "internal" packages

I think you raise a lot of good points, Konstantin, and it deserves serious consideration.
I don't think we should make any wide spread changes at this point in the release of WTP 2.0 ...
but, there's always next year! And, I wouldn't stand in the way if any particular component team
decided to do it one way or the other, as long as all in that component agreed, and it was well
documented, and didn't break any existing adopters ... as the JSF team "threatened" to do.
Prime directive: break no adopters.

It is historically interesting ... it was almost _exactly_ one year ago we were discussing this same
topic on this same list. Apparently, we somehow went from having 15,000 warnings to having
50,000 in one year!
http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/wtp-dev/msg03915.html
How'd that happen!? Rhetorical question ... there's actually only 662 I'm
concerned about ... 100 of which happen to be in the JSF component :)

"Konstantin Komissarchik" <kosta@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/10/2007 10:18 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."        <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [wtp-dev] Convention for "internal" packages

Reading the referenced wiki, it looks to me that these rules are for the
platform SDK. With that in mind, I think this is something that should
be discussed at WTP level to see if the rules adopted by the platform
make sense in general and in the specific context of WTP.

While the goal of not precludng experimentation is important, not
allowing plugins to have truly internal code can have very dangerous
consequences. For instance, it's very difficult to design sound api if
all your internals are hanging out in the open. This can be equated to
not allowing private modifiers on fields and methods. All it takes is
someone trying to enable their particular usecase by hitting internal
code in a way that it wasn't designed to handle and you can end up with
corrupted state for some other plugin to discover. Problems like this
are very difficult to understand and debug. The result is general lack
of stability.

Then you have the cases of people finding and using internal code when
perfectly good api is available. Sure the internal code is marked
x-internal, but people ignore that all the time. I had this very case
come up recently. There was an event object that I was exposing in an
api. It had to be down-cast to an event-specific type in order to get
additional detail. One adopter (showed up in adopter usage scans) chose
to cast it down to the impl class (in internal package with x-internal
tag) when a perfectly good interface was available in a public package.
If I didn't export the internal package, this wouldn't have happened.
The person writing that code would have looked a bit harder for the
interface and would not have cause wasted cycles for themselves and
others.

The above arguments are universal, but WTP has one that's specific to
us. The adopter usage scans and the adopter breakage agreement means
that the costs of experimentation with internal code are no longer
carried completely by the people doing the experimentation. Code that's
marked x-internal can show up in adopter breakage reports and cause
delays, extra overhead, and mitigation overhead for what should have
been a straight-forward change. Some of those usages are "justified"
(cases where there is no public api) some of them are not. We have no
way of telling the difference.

- Konstantin