[wtp-dev] clarification and documentation of bug "verification"

Thanks everyone for the help and questions on the verification process.

Cameron,  I agree, in most cases where the orignator==owner those can be left to the owner to move to verify (as many are "notes to self").

Ian, I think fine to mark a bug as verified against 1.5.x tests, even if opened on 1.0.x stream. It's most helpful to say just that in the bug entry when marking as verified, but in terms of prioritizing work, I don't think its that constructive to verify twice, and the forward-most stream is the most important.

I have captured some of the recent discussion about verification in our workflow document. Feel free to improve it!

http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php?title=WTP_Bugs%2C_Workflow_and_Conventions

The meaning and methods of verification

FIXED to VERIFIED
The ideal, preferred workflow is for the originator to verify a bug is fixed shortly after its introduced into a build. Ideally the build ID (or at least approximate date of build)will be included in the verification note.
For old bugs, opened on previous releases, verification normally means "works on current release" unless otherwise noted (that is the previous release may not be fixed and may never be fixed ... unless otherwise noted).
The component or project leads have the discretion to mark a bug as "closed" if it has been in the fixed state for a very long time (such as 6 months) so it can pretty clearly be assumed fixed. Naturally, the originator can re-open (or, open a new bug).
DUP to VERIFIED
verifying a "duped" bug means the originator is simply agreeing that its a valid dup ... not that its necessarily fixed. The originator should be added automatically to the CC list of the dup, and they are welcome to verify that once its marked as fixed.
INVALID or WORKSFORME to VERIFIED
the originator is simply signifying they see the point and agree. If the originator does not agree or does not see the point, typically some polite discussion can be carried on in the bugzilla entry without necessarily re-opening.
LATER or REMIND
while these are (unfortunately) sitting in a "resolved" state ... they are resolved just temporarily and it is not meaningful to mark them as "verified". The component or project leads have the discretion to mark a 'remind' bug as "closed" if it has been in the 'remind' state for a very long time (such as 6 months) so it can pretty clearly be assumed no answer is coming and must not still be a problem. Naturally, the originator can re-open (or, open a new bug).
VERIFIED to CLOSED
the typical workflow is for the component lead (or project lead, or QA Contact) to move a bug from a 'verified' state to the 'closed' state and simply signifies they agree the bug has gone through a valid workflow, or that the bug entry is no longer helpful, constructive, or needed.

Back to the top