[wtp-dev] Minutes of the WTP Status Telecon, 2006-07-27

See WTP Status Telecons [1] for more information.

[1] http://eclipse.org/webtools/development/status-telecons/index.html

Attendees

Amy Wu
Arthur Ryman
David Williams

Jeffrey Liu

John Lanuti

Kate Price
Kathy Chan

Keith Chong

Larry Dunnell

Larry Issac
Lawrence Mandel

Nitin Dahyabhai

Konstantin Komissarchik
Rob Frost

Tim Deboer

Tim Wagner
Ted Bashor

1. Action Items [1] - Jeffrey Liu

148681 nor P3 PC wst.wsi-inbox@xxxxxxxxxxx NEW --- [action] Create a test plan for the wst.wsi component
149750 nor P3 PC jeffliu@xxxxxxxxxx NEW --- [action] [performance] Some J2EE performance testcases ar...

2 bugs found.

[1] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?short_desc_type=casesubstring&short_desc=%5Baction%5D&product=Web+Tools&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED

2. WTP 1.0.3 Status
- David Williams

Remaining 1.0.3 bugs [1]

[1] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?classification=WebTools&product=Web+Tools&target_milestone=1.0.3+M103&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED

David - Some problems with update jars, should be able to resolve soon. Will announce it once this is completed. Will also announce there's no more planned maintenance release for the 1.0 stream.

3. WTP 1.5.1 Build Status - David Williams

http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/WTP_Release_1.5.x_Maintenance_Plan_and_Policies

David - Smoke test the latest I-build, there's still one failing JUnit test.

Rob - We added some test specific logic to wait for a job, and it caused the test to fail. This is a test bug, not a bug in the code.

John - We will fix the test failure and rebuild.

3.1 Hot Bugs [1] - Jeffrey Liu

[1] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=%5Bhotbug%5D&classification=WebTools&product=Web%20Tools&target_milestone=1.5.1%20M151&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED

3.2 Hot Bugs Requests [1] - Jeffrey Liu

[1] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=%5Bhotbug_request%5D&classification=WebTools&product=Web%20Tools&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED

4. Java VM levels in WTP 2.0 - Tim Wagner

  • Implementations in the “common” component will be restricted to 1.4.x VM levels, which implies Java 1.4 language features (no Java 5 features, such as generics). However, developers can request permission of the PMC to use Java 5 language features on a plugin-by-plugin basis.
  • All other components in WTP are free to use Java 5 language features, and WTP as a project will require a Java 5-level VM in the 2.0 (“Europa”) release and will need to be compiled with a Java 5-level compiler.

Maintenance releases on the 1.x lines (1.5.1, 1.5.2, etc.) are unchanged – they are still restricted to Java 1.4 language features and must compile and run on a Java 1.4 JDK/VM.

5. Performance - Jeffrey Liu

Areas where we want performance improvements:

- Large workspace, lots of EJBs
- WS-I test tools
- Full build, couple of projects with random stuff are taking twice as slow as 1.0.2
- Project creation, in particular, the j2ee web facet
- Builds (validators)
- Publish, calculating the delta changes

David - Eclipse has some infrastructure in place that allows you to inline some statements in your code that can be enabled by an option. We can measure performance of extensions that adopters add (ex. facets). Problems will be written to the log file. We can take advantage of this.

6. Other Business - Open

Arthur - We added Dita support in the last release. However, it's half integrated because developers need to run a tool to generate the HTML files before committing into CVS.

Arthur - David and Kate will pair up with the Dita open toolkit team to integrated the HTML generation into the WTP build.

Jeffrey Liu
IBM Rational Software
IBM Toronto Lab.
8200 Warden Ave. Markham, Ontario, L6G 1C7
Internal mail: D3/UMZ/8200/MKM (D3-268)
T/L: 969 3531
Tel: (905) 413 3531
Fax: (905) 413 4920