Re: [wtp-dev] Adopter broken by refactoring in wst.wsdl.ui and wst.xsd.ui in the v200604140115/v200604131333 level of the plugins

Jeffrey, this is a 1.5 change only.

Regards,
Keith Chong
D3/QCS/8200/MKM
Phone: (905) 413-4370    T/L: 969-4370
e-mail: kchong@xxxxxxxxxx

Jeffrey Liu/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

19/04/2006 04:06 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] Adopter broken by refactoring in wst.wsdl.ui        and        wst.xsd.ui in the v200604140115/v200604131333 level of the plugins

Hi,

Is this a 1.0.2 change? My understanding is that internal code should be treated as API in a maintenance release. So if this is really a 1.0.2 change, I highly suggest we reverse it because:

1. This change was never publicly announced.

2. Jim can be one of the many adopters that have dependency on these classes.

Thanks,

Jeffrey Liu
IBM Rational Software - Performance Analyst
IBM Toronto Lab.
8200 Warden Ave. Markham, Ontario, L6G 1C7
Internal mail: D3/R8V/8200/MKM (D3-268)
T/L: 969 3531
Tel: (905) 413 3531
Fax: (905) 413 4920
jeffliu@xxxxxxxxxx

Craig Salter/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/19/2006 03:34 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] Adopter broken by refactoring in wst.wsdl.ui and        wst.xsd.ui in the v200604140115/v200604131333 level of the plugins

Jim, the classes you've referred to were not intended to be API (and were incorrectly placed in non-internal packages).  As you've noticed... we have moved the code into internal packages for this very reason.  Perhaps we can work off-line to discuss your re-use requirements.  Although we don't intended to do much further refactoring I'm interesting to understand how your using these classes.

I must say I'm surprised you had time to develop a dependency on these classes... they've only existed for a couple of weeks.  So you caught us!

I not sure what the eclipse policy is on this issue but I don't feel it would make much sense to announce when internal code changes occur (at least early in a dev schedule).  Do any others have opinions on this?  From this point on in WTP 1.5 we will do our utmost to avoid makeing breaking changes to internals .... just incase people are brave enough to be using them.

So ... sorry for the inconvenience... please consider all of the xsd.ui and wsdl.ui 'internal'.   An let's discuss what bits you might be depending on so we can move those into a path toward API.  Feel free to email me directly.

thanks

Craig

Craig Salter
Rational Studio XML Web Services
Internal Mail: D3/RY6/8200 /MKM
Phone: (905) 413-3918  TL: 969-3918 FAX: (905) 413-4920
Internet: csalter@xxxxxxxxxx     Notes: Craig Salter/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA

Jim Zhang <jzhang@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/19/2006 03:18 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
centaur-build@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
[wtp-dev] Adopter broken by refactoring in wst.wsdl.ui and wst.xsd.ui in the v200604140115/v200604131333 level of the plugins

Hi, my plugin is using the set of interfaces and adapter factory classes in the wst.wsdl.ui and wst.xsd.ui plugins.  They are:

org.eclipse.wst.wsdl.asd.facade.INamedObject

org.eclipse.wst.wsdl.asd.editor.outline.ITreeElement

org.eclipse.wst.wsdl.asd.facade.IDescription

org.eclipse.wst.wsdl.asd.facade.IMessageReference

org.eclipse.wst.xsd.adt.outline.ITreeElement

org.eclipse.wst.xsd.editor.internal.adapters.XSDAdapterFactory

org.eclipse.wst.xsd.editor.internal.adapters.XSDBaseAdapter

My build base contains org.eclipse.wst.wsdl.ui_1.0.1.v200604140115.jar and org.eclipse.wst.xsd.ui_1.0.100.v200604131333.jar.

So my questions are:

- will there be more breaking changes in the above two plugins before the WTP release?

- the changes this time around were just package refactoring, but I still expected some kind of announcement before-hand given that WTP is in release candidate build stage.  Can announcements be made first to adopters next time if such breaking changes are made again, at least until WTP releases?

Kind regards,
Jim