Re: [wtp-dev] Re-Inventing Hot List

Konstantin,

I understand you put some thought into this and are trying to refine the process, but what actual problems with the adopter hot bug list are you trying to solve?  I think it would be easier for me to vote yes or no on changes if I knew what they were trying to do.

Incidentally, also keep in mind priority.  I could have a spelling error repeated throughout and that is in no way a S1 or S2 defect, but it is a high priority item to a product trying to look professional.

John

John Lanuti
Software Engineer, IBM Rational
jlanuti@xxxxxxxxxx
t/l 441-7861

"I know this lady way down in my country.
She is so pretty that my eyes throw disguises at me.
Now we will sit and we'll wonder about our future,
But now I'm thinking that today sounds fine to me."  - Of A Revolution

"Konstantin Komissarchik" <kosta@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/21/2006 09:36 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[wtp-dev] Re-Inventing Hot List

I’d like to start the conversation about how we can improve the Adopter Hot List process going forward. Here is a proposal to get us started. Feel free to poke holes in it...

This proposal places more emphasis on the severity field and establishes a strict release exit criteria for high severity issues. A triage committee (composed of PMC members or their designated replacements) would be established in order to resolve disagreements over the severity and other issues.

  • In order to exit a release all S1 (Blocking Severity) and S2 (Critical Severity) bugs targeted to that release have to be resolved. Additionally, there should not be any untargeted/uninvestigated S1/S2 bugs. The triage committee can push bugs of lower severity that are targeted to that release to the next release if there isn’t sufficient time remaining in order to resolve them.
  • All S1/S2 bugs will be reviewed at the weekly status meetings. The severity as set by the originator can be challenged. The triage committee will arbitrate and have the power to assign a lower severity if necessary.
  • Anyone can submit a bug of a lower priority to the weekly status meeting agenda in order to get the status or to request a targeting decision.
  • A bug is only targeted to a particular release when a dev has made a commitment to work on it for that release.
  • Once a bug is targeted, that setting cannot be changed without the approval of the originator or the triage committee. This applies to all bugs regardless of the severity.

I believe that if the above process is implemented and abided by than we no longer need the Adopter Hot List. Thoughts?

- Konstantin

Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain
information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated
entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or
by email and then delete it.