From: Craig Salter [mailto:csalter@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2006 3:09 PM
To: ian.trimble@xxxxxxxxxx; General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues.
Cc: Ed Merks
Subject: Re: [wtp-dev] JSF Tools Project: synchronizing EMF-SSE

Ian,

There's nothing 'wrong' with the EMF-SSE approach (AFAIK) it was just something we didn't make use of for the historical/dependency related reasons mentioned below.   Now I will bore you with some history ;-)

The XSD model was developed (by Ed Merks) in open source before the EMF-SSE code was available.  In addition there was a requirement to make the XSD model very stand-alone .... so even if EMF-SSE was available I'm not sure if Ed would have tightly coupled it with SSE.   The WSDL model was designed to be as similar to the XSD model as possible in order  to provide consistent API and implementation (since these models are often used together).  These models are capable of synchronizing with a generic DOM.  Editor developers can use a thin SSE aware layer of code to notify the model when a  DOM node is updated ... other than the notifications there are no SSE dependencies required.

If you want my 2 cents (and you might not) I think a generic EMF-XML reconciler should reside in the EMF/EMFT project (basic SAX->EMF and DOM<-->EMF) and we should provide an SSE aware layer on top of this in WTP.  Of course this requires time and energy ... which we are in short supply these days.

thanks

Craig

Craig Salter
Rational Studio XML Web Services
Internal Mail: D3/RY6/8200 /MKM
Phone: (905) 413-3918  TL: 969-3918 FAX: (905) 413-4920
Internet: csalter@xxxxxxxxxx     Notes: Craig Salter/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA

"Ian Trimble" <ian.trimble@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

01/30/2006 04:14 PM

Please respond to
"ian.trimble@xxxxxxxxxx" and "General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

"wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "wtp-jsf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <wtp-jsf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[wtp-dev] JSF Tools Project: synchronizing EMF-SSE

As we continue to work on the JSF Tools Project, we have been exploring the use of an embedded StructuredTextEditor (of XML "flavour") in a multipage editor where all pages but the StructuredTextEditor use an EMF model. We have worked up a very basic prototype using the "EMF2DOMSSE..." classes from the XML Core plugin. Things are working, life is good.

Yet we have also explored EMF-SSE synchronization in other places in WTP, and have seen that the XML Schema editor and the WSDL editor do not use the "EMF2DOMSSE..." classes, and so we are left wondering why this is so.

Are there perhaps known issues with the "EMF2DOMSSE..." classes? Does the approach scale sufficiently well? Is this approach to be avoided for some reason, or is it perhaps the suggested way to synchronize EMF and SSE models? Are there certain, known cases where one approach may be better than another? Am I asking too many questions?

Thanks in advance for any insight,
 - Ian

Ian Trimble
JDeveloper Group
Oracle Corporation Canada Inc.
Office: (250) 954-0837
Email: ian.trimble@xxxxxxxxxx
Web: http://www.oracle.com
This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender and delete all copies.