Re: [wtp-dev] Added detail: Alternate flexible workspace proposals

Hi Michael,

Thanks for yor feedback,

I was referring to the Platform Team component, and would like to explore this mapping capability defined at this level.
We have also thought about CVS modules that provide many of the grouping/filtering features we would need for our requirement, but at the moment the CVS / Eclipse integration to my knowledge doesn't interact with this artifact.
Also, as you say, this is only CVS, and all other SCM's would need to have an alternate implementation.   I'll take a look at the Buckminster project, and get in touch.  I'll open up some feature requirments as well to follow up.

Thanks- Chuck

Rational J2EE Tooling Team Lead
IBM Software Lab - Research Triangle Park, NC
Email:  cbridgha@xxxxxxxxxx
Phone: 919-254-1848 (T/L: 444)

Michael Valenta <Michael_Valenta@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/20/2005 09:45 AM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] Added detail:  Alternate flexible workspace proposals

Chuck,

I would like to comment on the Platform Team component requirements you mentioned (by Team platform I assume you mean the Platform Team component). If I understand the proposal correctly, you are trying to describe how to transform a repository structure into a local structure that may differ from the repository structure. For CVS, I can do what you describe by defining modules in the CVSROOT/modules file. Here is what those modules might look like (based on the description of modules available at http://ximbiot.com/cvs/manual/cvs-1.11.20/cvs_18.html#SEC159):

   myapp1 -a !myprojects/apps/myapp1/myapp-ejb !myprojects/apps/myapp1/myapp-war myprojects/apps/myapp1

   myapp-ejb -a myprojects/apps/myapp1/myapp-ejb

   myapp-war -a myprojects/apps/myapp1/myapp-war

   comp1 -a myproject/components/comp1

   myproject -a !myprojects/apps myproject

Just to give a brief explanation, the first token on each line is the module name, -a means it is an alias, the ! symbol is an exclude and the last path is the directory to be checked out. Thus, you could then check out these five modules in order to get the five projects you described in your proposal. Of course, this only works for CVS. I suspect that other repository tools have their own means of specifying this type of transformation.

I can understand the motivation to have a single description of how to do this mapping and have all repository tools interpret this mapping to set up the local workspace. I believe this is the goal of the Buckminster project. You may want to talk to them about what workflows they are trying to support.  I can also understand the motivation to have the entire structure on the local disk and use project level exclusion rules to build up a set of projects. This may work well with repository tools that are loosely integrated with Eclipse (i.e. they integrate into Eclipse but perform operations direclty on the file-system) but will be difficult to manage for repository tools that are tightly integrated with Eclipse (e.g. the CVS plugin).

Michael

Chuck Bridgham <cbridgha@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

19/09/2005 11:38 AM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[wtp-dev] Added detail:  Alternate flexible workspace proposals

Hi everyone,

I have added some additional details, and two additional scenarios to demonstrate the differences between our current support , and the proposals in our WTP 1.5 timeframe.

http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/jst/components/j2ee/proposals/WTPFlexibleProjectProposals.html

It must be understood that our current support will remain through WTP 1.0, and existing metadata/structure will be migated to any new format/proposal in future releases.

Please respond with your feedback by September 27, we will be making some decisions on this topic soon.