[wtp-dev] 1.0 Planning and Beyond

I'd like committers and component leads to consider the following while finalizing your 1.0 plans.
At this week's dev. status meeting we can discuss if there's comments or concerns.

First, a reminder, that for 1.0 (which will be on 3.1 Eclipse base), I'd advise you to
be as conservative about what you can deliver, without any chance
of any big "last minute" efforts, rushes and instability.
Beyond all the usual reasons we should be doing that anyway!
we now have an additional reason: At some point,
during 1.0 development (near M9) we will need to also begin
development for 1.5, on Eclipse 3.2 stream!

Second, the reason for the "dual stream" effort above is because as a PMC we have agreed to
"join the Eclipse Train" and have a more synchronized release next year with several other
major Eclipse projects... the base platform, GEF, EMF, TPTP, and DTP .  And part of this
"synchronized release" process is "synchronized milestones". While in theory there might be
ways of doing this with different parts of the train having milestones of different durations,
in practice, it will be * much * easier if we in WTP also plan to have (roughly) 6 week
milestone periods like the base Eclipse teams do.  This will take some adjustment in our
thinking since I know we are all still prone to "over promise" in our planning, so this will be all the more
reason to be conservative in our plans. (In general, a 6 week milestone means 4 weeks
of development, 1 week of planning and 1 week of milestone level testing).

While the exact milestone dates and durations are being worked out by Tim Wagner
(to be coordinated with the planners of other projects). I'm expecting ours to be around
6 weeks (some might be 6.5, some 7?) but wanted to send this note out now to see
if anyone had concerns with this general shorting of our milestones.

I personally thinks its achievable and desireable, but didn't want to speak for everyone,
in case there were issues I was overlooking.