[wtp-dev] Stability of I-builds during release shutdown

Hi everyone,

The 0.7 release candidate builds are proposed for the 13th and 22nd, with the release at the end of the month. What I haven't seen is what happens between these times - presumably we are going to run nightly I-builds or something similar. My concern is that with constant I-builds typically comes constant churn - every team ends up taking a turn at breaking the build and we have brown-outs that are nobody's fault - most of the build is good, but there are some less stable parts which change from build to build. Our past I-builds are a good example - although they are fairly stable on Tuesday, we typically have a series of build and JUnit failures until sometime Thursday when everyone starts focusing on it.

To ensure that we have frequent, high-quality builds that can be used for testing and external teams building on top of WTP, I propose one of the following:

1. We do less frequent I-builds (e.g. every 3-4 days), but use warmups like we have done with previous I-builds. For example, we could start spinning I-builds on every Monday morning and spin every 4 hours until we get it clean, then do it again on Thursday.

2. We stay vigilant - every nightly I-build should be as good as the previous milestone/release candidate. Any compile errors or JUnit failures are deemed critical and must be fixed asap by a respin.

Thought? Opinions? Other suggestions?

Thanks,
Tim deBoer
WebSphere Tools - IBM Canada Ltd.