Skip to main content

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [List Home]
Re: [wtp-dev] WTP 1.0 M4 Shutdown Schedule

Arthur et al.,
in response, here's the current state of affairs with the Web services components for M4:

1. APIs

Our emphasis for M4 has been on the design of a new provisional API that the community can begin using to extend the Web services platform. The primary reason we have made this API provisional instead of public is that our own plugins for Apache Axis represent the only known extensions to this API. Without at least one or two additional, significant third-party extensions to the platform to help validate its design, identify flaws, etc., it would be quite premature to lock in a public API. I would encourage, request, (and even get down on all fours and beg!) anyone in the community who is thinking of adding Web services runtime support to our Web services tools platform to pick up M4 and review, and help us evolve, our provisional API to a point that we can consider it well validated and ready for public prime time in WTP 1.1.

I will ensure all API we intend to make public in WTP 1.1 is appropriately packaged as "internal.provisional" in M4.

Because of our focus on the provisional API, the implementation and functionality of Web services in M4 will not be as stable as it was in M3. M5 truely represents the implementation milestone where stability will be restored and some functional improvements added in. The current outlook is that our major scenarios will continue to function in M4, but - to be blunt - the path to April 22 will be a squeaker, and workarounds will be required (though nothing too hairy, we think).

2. Test Plans

We will have our test plans with anticipated workarounds documented by end of day Friday.

3. EMF, GEF, and JEM Prerequisites

Any idea when these will be available (wrt. to our April 22 M4 date)?

4. Bugzilla Bugs

Will do, but as I mentioned above, it will be tight. We are chipping away at bugs in the implementation behind our new provisional API and the Apache Axis extensions to it, one by one, and are making good progress. We also have some defects against the J2EE component particularly where we have to integrate with the new flexible project stuff, and are getting really good support from them (with thanks!).

5. Third Party Content

"Speaking" for the component most impacted by this, thank you. We've been waiting for approval for too long now.

6. Ship Readiness Polls

It is unlikely we will be able to commence testing until at least Thursday of next week. The Web services code in this week's integration build will not be functional enough to do more than a sniff test. Again, our outlook is that we'll have a happier component for next week's build, but usually the integration builds don't settle down until the third day in the cycle (Thursday). I won't be able to hazard a vote any earlier than Friday.

Cheers - CB.

Chris Brealey
Rational Studio Java Web Services, IBM Canada Ltd.
D3-275, D3/ENX/8200/MKM, 8200 Warden Avenue, Markham, Ontario, Canada, L6G 1C7
cbrealey@xxxxxxxxxx, 905.413.6038, tieline:969.6038, fax:905.413.4920

Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/12/2005 03:17 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

[wtp-dev] WTP 1.0 M4 Shutdown Schedule

Our target release date is 2005-04-22. This note summarizes the key actions that are required for us to meet that date.

1. APIs

There has been great progress in API definition, especially in the completion of Javadoc. However, some components have not stablised their definitions, or do not have adequate JUnit coverage. We therefore must defer those APIs to WTP 1.1. This action will ensure that the APIs that we do release in WTP 1.0 are built to last. The work that has been done on the deferred APIs will put us in a great position to complete the APIs in WTP 1.1. The extra time will also let us get extremely valuable feedback from products that plan to use the APIs.

Therefore, all component owners should rename their deferred APIs to "internal.provisional" asap this week. Our goal should be to enter next week with code that is as close as possible to the final M4 code so that we can focus on defect resolution.

2. Test Plans

All component test plans should be updated by the end of this week, 2005-04-15. This will let us enter our test pass next week.

3. EMF, GEF, and JEM Prerequisites

At present we are using I-builds for EMF, GEF, and JEM. We should not release WTP milestones based on I-builds of other components. We should cut over to milestone builds as soon as they become available (probably Thursday for EMF and GEF, and shortly after that for JEM) so that our test results are valid.

4. Bugzilla Bugs

All component leads should review their defect queues and should resolve all stop-ship problems next week.

5. Third Party Content

We may obtain legal approval from the Eclipse Foundation to redistribute some 3PC by the end of this week. If we receive approval in time, we should incorporate the 3PC into our build to simplify the installation process for users.

6. Ship Readiness Polls

Next week component leads should be prepared to respond to polls with go/no-go votes based on their test results and defect status. Any no-go vote will have to be resolved prior to us releasing M4.

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@xxxxxxx
wtp-dev mailing list

Back to the top