[wtp-dev] EJB Support

Our EJB contribution is committed to CVS. The initial EJB/Xdoclet components support the following use cases:

0) Use Case-0:  Edit/Setup Preferences:  Window>Preferences - Go to XDoclet tag and choose a XDoclet runtime (1.2.2/1.2.1 are supported).  visit the ejbdoclet page, choose the servers that you would like to auto-generate deployment-descriptors.  Apply.

1) Use case-I:
- Project Wizard:  New > Ejb > Create EJB Project >Create an EJB Project, choose a J2EE Runtime.  Currently you can only choose J2EE Library o compile against.  (Server Team should probably look into getting this work with a real server.)

- Create A Session EJB:  New > Ejb > Create Session Bean, enter Session bean config parameters, click next choose a package, modify the class parameters. Click Finish.

     - A Session Bean is created including a sample business method.
     - EJB Builder is added to the project
     - Builder generates all EJB classes for the beans in the module and adds them to the ejb-jar.xml

The support for other types of EJBs are also in place but we would like to get some feedback on the current work before we go further.

2) Use Case-II:  Open and edit your Session Bean ( the class with the Bean suffix).  Add a method or modify other things.  You will get code assist for XDoclet tags.  Save.
     - Builder kicks in and generates all EJB classes for the beans in the module and adds them to the ejb-jar.xml

There are a few experimental features/issues for consideration:
        - We use a builder to generate derived artifacts.  We need to asses the performance issues.  Alternative is using manual actions
        - The derived code is generated in to the same source folder.  Eventually we would like to separate it.
        - Multiple modules in the same project should work, NOT tested
        - There are a few hard coded things such as EJB spec version.  We will change it to get it from the EJBModule

Have not been tested on a server runtime due to lack of a server runtime that supports EJB modules.

The related plugins are:
org.eclipse.jst.common.launcher.ant
Provides ant script execution support.  Used by the XDoclet builder to run ejbdoclet tasks

org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.ejb.annotation.model
Provides command objects and operations used by the Wizards and JET Emitters

org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.ejb.annotations.emitter
Extensible framework to support different annotation technologies and builders.  Provides API for annotation emitters and builder and support for template (JET) based code generation

org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.ejb.annotations.ui
EJB Wizards

org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.ejb.annotations.xdoclet
Extension of the annotations.emitter to support XDoclet.  Contains emitter extensions, XDoclet builder and XDoclet preferences

Naci Dai,
Managing Director

eteration a.s.
Inonu cad. Sumer sok. Zitas D1-15