[wtp-dev] Data Tools in CVS - Status Update

Panagiotis et al,

Last week I committed to resolving the build problems with the Data tools. Here's the status.

The problems are mainly caused by missing dependencies. Some of these are common components in the IBM contribution. A few of these have already been renamed in the wst.common component. The rest of these are in the process of being renamed and will be checked in this week if all goes well. Chuck Bridgham is leading this effort. We had some discussions on the naming conventions and I believe we have settled on the names.

However, the other dependencies are on code that comes from other Eclipse projects. For example, com.ibm.wtp.comm.util is actually part of the Eclipse VE project even though the name suggests otherwise. We don't want to copy this code so we'll be just referencing it and pulling a binary JAR into our build. The longer term solution is to move this function into the Eclipse platform and we have been discussing this option with Kevin Haaland.

I expect all the dependencies will be resolved this week, after which we will probably need to do a slight tweak on the Data tools to match the actual names we settled on.

Thanks again for your contributions. I am confident that once the IBM code contribution gets refreshed, renamed, and checked into CVS, that things will run much more smoothly. Your patience is appreciated.

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411