Re: [virgo-dev] JDK 8 Adoption

You are talking about the source level only, correct? The binaries would still be running on a 1.7 system?

The reason why I'm asking is because I believe that Virgo as a server-side technology runs most of the time on "conservative" systems, i.e. systems that are not necessarily running the latest release from every software or OS. With such use-cases in mind it is sometimes better to stick to an older version, but that really depends on the consumers.

And even with a 1.7 compatible bytecode there are sometimes cases when it doesn't run with older class libraries. In RAP we are using the (maven) animal-sniffer plugin to ensure a certain Java class library level. Does something like that exist in the Gradle world?

Just some random thoughts...

Thanks,
Markus